• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP! My temps suck!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sniperboy

I just got my watercooling system installed, and my temps suck. MBM5 reads 58C at full load and 48 at idle. These are worse temps than with my HHC-001! My system is fully bled, waterblock cranked down evenly, AS3 applied, etc. Here's my setup:
Aquastealth Jagged Edge Waterblock
Aquastealth Northbridge block
Maxijet 1000
Chevette heatercore
Delta 120mm fan at 7v
PVC 3/8" tubing

The order goes pump>heatercore>cpu block>northbridge block

I think one problem might be that my fan shroud doesn't cover the entire heatercore. I had to cut it so that the fan angles at a 45 degree angle. would that kill airflow? Should I make a modified a shroud so airflow is still straight but the fan is to one side?

I'm running an AMD XP2000+ at stock speed.

NeoMoses

do you have a way to determine your water temp? Also, try running your delta 120 mm at 12 V and see if that helps.

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
it does sound like the waterblock isnt level or isnt tight enough, i had the same problems when it wasnt tight enough

mdcomp

Classic Administrator
Check and make sure the waterblock is making complete contact with the cpu. Also, get rid of the northbridge block, it may help your temps a little and there is no need to watercool the northbridge, it dosen't really get that hot.

NeoMoses

Sniperboy said:
How do I make sure my block is level? I'm not sure.

Take the mobo out of the case and look at the CPU. You shouldn't be able to see any light shining through over the CPU, just around it.

kinglouiex

Once before I had temps like that come to find out I didnt have enough juice flowing through my system make sure your stuff is topped off.

OP
S

Sniperboy

Ok, I have a radioshack thermometer and I put the probe through my fill tube, which is between my radiator and waterblock.
Ambient:24.6C
Water: 26.9C

My system is completely filled. I did put some food coloring in, but was the gel kind and never came out of the heatercore. I'm comtemplating draining the system and cleaning it.

OP
S

Sniperboy

Oh yeah, here's my temps with my delta 120mm at 12 volts
Idle: 44
Load: 51
Water at load: 28.3
They're better, but I think I can do even better. This fan is loud at full power! I'll probably get a potentiometer for it.

I'm thinking about taking the plasic cover off the thermometer probe and getting a cpu reading. I wanna see some real temps. Do you guys think I should?

I'm gonna go check to see if my waterblock is seated properly.

masitti

Compress the block all the way down, and make some sort of a shroud/duct (you can use cardboard for this) so that way there is no dead spot or any other fan related problems.

That should help your temps greatly. :)

Nico3k

what i did to make the block even is that i twisted the nuts down one turn at a time. so i twist the first 2 once, then the other two once... until the block is nice and snug.

OP
S

Sniperboy

Update: My temps are now 46C at load! :) I'm modding my Radioshack thermometer to read cpu temps now, cause the sensor is too big (it's covered by plastic). Are my temps reasonable now? I'm still running at stock speed.