• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help needed here!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ctty

Hi guys I ordered an Asutek WaterChill kit (Chipset & CPU blocks included with L20) and it would be arriving next week. Basically, I want to add a maze4 GPU block to this setup. The setup I am going to cool with this consists of an XP2500+ that I am going to overclock to 2.5GHz or more and an NF2 Abit NF7-S running at at least 233MHz FSB. The GPU I am cooling is a R9800Pro 128MB(Powercolor). So the total load would be 100W(CPU)+70W(GPU)+20W(N/B)=190W. Which would be better in terms of performance, getting a second radiator(BIX Pro) or using a more powerful pump(1250)? If I leave the setup unaltered and simply add the GPU block, what temperatures would I be expecting with an ambient of 30degrees?

Arkangyl

honestly the L20 is going to be pushing it... one rad should be enough but a second rad DEFINATLY demands a better pump (1250, 1260 or L30)

Lothar5150

Coolsleeves™ Guy
There are a lot of factors involved in your total cooling performance. How long are your tubes i.e. (is the circuit short and more efficient). The Height of the components above the pump....Just as a S.W.A.G you can expect 12C above ambient if you system is not very efficient. The radiator you are going to get in that kit is not the best. Get a heater core w/shroud and a L30 and your temps will drop 5-6C easy.

OP
C

ctty

I will be getting a Black Ice Extreme Radiator with the kit. Lots of people are using that here. As for the shrouds, I will add them after I get the kit. I can't get the L30 in my country though, only the 1250 is possible here. Besides, the Asutek kit is using a half moon design that gives very little resistance, so increased flow rate will not help by more than 1-2degrees.

repilce

I still dont think the l20 will cut it.. it might pushe the water through but you'll probably with ALL THAT be lucky to be moving even 2gal a minute through your system.. :eek: higher flowrate always helps cooling.. it takes a little edge of the equalibrium.

I'd go with the 1250.. it'll still be good when you upgrade to some better stuff. :D

Graystar

Getting a second radiator will always do more than getting a more powerful pump, UNLESS, you were running at a very very low flow rate to begin with (less than .5 gpm.)

Overclockers testing shows that the L20 pushes less than .5 gpm through a system, so you probably want to avoid it no matter what. The L30, or a Maxi-Jet 1200 would be better. With those you have a better chance of running .5gpm through the waterblocks.

The most important thing to remember, though, is to route components in parallel. That is, split off your tubing and run a tube to each waterblock. Don't route the water from waterblock to waterblock.

Here's what you can do with two radiators. First split three lines from your pump to your blocks. Then run from the CPU water block directly to one radiator. Combine the GPU and NB blocks and run them to the second radiator. Then combine the outputs of the radiators back into the pump. That might be a hair easier than having to combine the three outputs just to split them again for two radiators.

Lothar5150

Coolsleeves™ Guy
ctty said:
I will be getting a Black Ice Extreme Radiator with the kit. Lots of people are using that here. As for the shrouds, I will add them after I get the kit. I can't get the L30 in my country though, only the 1250 is possible here. Besides, the Asutek kit is using a half moon design that gives very little resistance, so increased flow rate will not help by more than 1-2degrees. [/QUOTE

Just out of curiosity what country are you in??

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
I really doubt the pump is the issue, it can probably handle it, I think it shoudl be fine. if anything, a new radiator, larger or another one would be the first move.

Jon

SK8

isnt the astec tube 1/2 od, if so then you should need a pretty powerful pump to drive all of that, another thing u might want to consider if u get a new rad,pump,block is getting 1/2 id tube so it can have less restrictions.

OP
C

ctty

Lothar5150 said:
ctty said:
I will be getting a Black Ice Extreme Radiator with the kit. Lots of people are using that here. As for the shrouds, I will add them after I get the kit. I can't get the L30 in my country though, only the 1250 is possible here. Besides, the Asutek kit is using a half moon design that gives very little resistance, so increased flow rate will not help by more than 1-2degrees. [/QUOTE

Just out of curiosity what country are you in??

Singapore, water cooling is not too common here, with a small community of people using it.

OP
C

ctty

SK8 said:
isnt the astec tube 1/2 od, if so then you should need a pretty powerful pump to drive all of that, another thing u might want to consider if u get a new rad,pump,block is getting 1/2 id tube so it can have less restrictions.
What's this about the 1/2" OD & ID. The Asutek kit is using the 1/2" OD, 3/8"ID design I think. Am I right to say that most people here with custom built wc setups are using 1/2"ID tubing with the other equipment? Sorry, but I am quite new to this.:p

OP
C

ctty

Or should I just forget about the whole matter and just get myself two powerful 120mm Deltas(119CFM each), 1 for each side of the radiator? Will that do? I am aiming for temperatures that are no more than 10degrees above ambient with the CPU and no more than 15degrees above ambient with the GPU.