• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help needed, lock up issue (but not completly locked up)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThePunkGeek

Alright so a few months back i built the computer in my sig. I was running win xp and everything was perfect. Then i decided to buy vista (ultimate). I first started running 64bit which ran fine for awhile but then while playing wow i started to get random lock ups in game (but the pc wasn't completly frozen) i could still move my mouse, i could still talk on vent and ics would still allow all other computer to function on the internet fine. If i tried to ctrl-alt-del or alt-f4 the mouse would then lock up but vent/ics still ran.

At the time i believed this to be an issue with nvidias video drivers so i followed the driver releases and beta releases for awhile hoping it would help. I removed the overclock on the pc/cmos is running defaults, i've unpluged most the extra hdds just incase a possible power issue and still no luck. A few days ado nvidia came out with a new release for 64bit, once installing it the semi-lock ups became full locks with a buzzing sound comming through the speakers.

Now after this happened i decided i'd try a clean format of 32bit thinking if it really was a driver issue this would be the best chance of fixing it. Still the same issue(semi-locks up)

At this point i'm thinking it might be ram or a video issue but really i have no clue. If anyone has any info/sugestions it would be greatly appriciated

(also i should note: if i reboot the pc once it happens and go right back to what i was doing its likly to happen again within a half hour, but the pc itself with casual playing sometimes won't lock up for a few days, and is stable in everything else. Along with the format was also a clean install of the game itself of course)

cheers

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
Hmm...thats strange. Do you have another HDD to try installing XP to?

OP
ThePunkGeek

ThePunkGeek

thideras said:
Hmm...thats strange. Do you have another HDD to try installing XP to?

I could do that, is that because you think it might be a conflict with vista or the hdd itself? because at this point i just formated and i could go back to trying xp on this drive as well

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
ThePunkGeek said:
I could do that, is that because you think it might be a conflict with vista or the hdd itself? because at this point i just formated and i could go back to trying xp on this drive as well
It may be something with Vista, but this will tell you if it is hardware. If it works perfectly, it is something with the OS/drivers.

OP
ThePunkGeek

ThePunkGeek

thideras said:
It may be something with Vista, but this will tell you if it is hardware. If it works perfectly, it is something with the OS/drivers.

true enough, i thought about trying this but didn't want to spend the time on it, thanks for the quick replies i guess i'll just suck it up and give it a go, If anyone has any other sugestions lmk i'll post back after i format/test for awhile.

cheers