• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help needed with picking ram for upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

linkin2895

Hello there.

My computer consists of :

Mobo: Asus P6T
CPU: Intel i7 920
RAM: 3x2GB, part number: OCZ3G1600LV2G
I wont list the other parts as i don't want to make this too long.

I want to have more ram and i am considering buying an extra 6 GB. The thing is, with triple channel memory being so old i can't find my specific OCZ ram dimms anywhere in the market. Also i don't really want to spend 100 euro to buy new RAM dimms of other brands. Especially since my motherboard was made in like 2009 and they (Asus) no longer upgrade it's RAM compatibility list.
Therefore, i am only looking at used items.
My questions are:
1) Is it ok, if i add 6 extra gigabytes of ram, from another brand?
It will probably have different timings and/or voltage. Will my computer work (at triple channel of course) if i do so?

2) I have a chance at buying 6 gb of kingston's KVR1333D3K3/6GR .
To my knowledge, they aren't included in the motherboard's compatibility list, but it has not been updated anyway.
Should i get them? It will only cost me 30 euro.

3) What should i be looking at, when trying to figure out which extra ram dimms i want to add to my own? The timings? The voltage?

Thank you for your time folks!

If you use memory with different timings the motherboard hopefully will set the timings to the lowest set. If the PC does not boot the memory will not work.

Yes there is not much tri channel ram around any more but it will work fine in dual . You could grab a 2x8 and have 16g

1. Yes you can. You want to try to find the voltage and timings as close to your current sticks as possible. You may need to manually set the timings and voltage if it doesn't work
2. QVL lists what is tested. If it is not on the list, chances are it will work, but.... there is always a chance it wont.
3. See #1.

I like the 2x8GB idea personally.

I also like the idea of you putting the money spent on ram into the piggy bank for a new system. X58 is pretty long in the tooth at this point (for gaming - glass ceiling).

Yes there is not much tri channel ram around any more but it will work fine in dual . You could grab a 2x8 and have 16g

My motherboard supports a max of 4 GB per dimm so i couldn't do that.

EarthDog I have been thinking about getting a new rig and even though my heart REALLY wants to, the truth is i don't really need it. I have an SSD, i have the CPU oced ( @ 3.81 Ghz) , there is no lag anywhere. I like to keep a lot of tabs open on my browser though, which is why my ram maxes out and i want to add more. For now, i m changing the browser i use :D .
Thank you for your time folks!

Hello there! I decided to purchase these https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227388 from e-bay for 10 euro. The total with the shipping costs was 25 euro which is in my opinion a reasonable price for the nowadays old triple channel memory and under my budget.
I installed it and it is running perfectly. My old overclock settings ( CPU at 3.81 ) still work flawlessly which is quite a surprise in my opinion.
Thank you for your time and assistance folks!
:clap:

Yes 12GB . Its running at 1119 MHz. I tried setting it to 1491 but i get something like this : and i stopped it by entering bios.
(This image is not from my computer, i just googled something similar to what i saw)
Actually i noticed that it sometimes shows an image like this even at 1119Mhz for a split second before bios tests but then runs smoothly. I may need to stress it more to be sure it is stable.
Edited to fix image link.

Back