• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help-New system reboots when playing dvds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FunkyTechnician

I just completed building a new system with these specs:

Abit NF7-S
Barton 2500+ (not overclocked at this point)
1GB Geil PC3500
Radeon 8500
Pioneer DVD slot drive

It's a fresh install of Windows XP (with all critical updates). I never had these problems with the same drive on my previous KT133A board and can't really figure out what's causing it.

The problem occurs when the DVD plays an animated menu. If I skip the animated menus and go straight to the chapters, the DVD plays fine otherwise the computer just reboots.

It occurs with both PowerDVD and Windows Media player 9.

Any help would be appreciated.

mdcomp

Classic Administrator
What are your temps? DVD playing applications many times use close to the full resources of the processor and so the temp goes up. That might be your problem. Also, what power supply do you have (wattage and brand)? Good luck!

Matt

Tebore

Disable Auto restart and give the error it gives.
Right click My computer>properties>advanced>Startup And Recovery>Settings> Uncheck Automatically Restart.
Make sure to have all the latest drivers for sound cards and video cards.

Aseaver

Registered
Did you get an updated XP driver for the DVD player and the Vid Card? That is what happened to my next door neighbor after he installed XP. I download new drivers for XP and all went away.

OP
FunkyTechnician

FunkyTechnician

My temps look good and are at around 34-35C while the rebooting occurs. I'm using the Fortron Source 530W PSU and currently only running 2 HDDs, the DVD drive and the Radeon 8500.

I took Tebore's advice and the blue screen attributed the error to an ati DLL. I was using the most current drivers on the ATI site so I went to Rage3D to see what drivers were listed. I installed the newest one they had along with DX 9.0 since it was required.

After the reboot, I got the serious error recovery message but I decided to try a DVD anyway and made it through the animated menu.

I'll mess around with different DVDs tomorrow and update the thread for anyone else with future issues like this.

Thanks for the help guys!

Aseaver

Registered
Just curious if you got things worked out on the DVD. I all else failss, remove the vid card and let XP find it again. I have never seen this being such a pain....you have my sympathy man.

OP
FunkyTechnician

FunkyTechnician

Aseaver, It seems to be working fine now.

You're right, that was the last thing that I thought would be a pain.

Thanks again to everyone.