• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[HELP] OC newbie needing help with AMD 860k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bigirish1983

Hey everyone!!! Was trying to tinker with AMD Overdrive after reading some forum posts but the lottery hasn't been good to me. I keep getting a screen flash, grey screen twice and then I have to reset to get back to factory clocking. I was wondering if anyone has any advice for a newbie like me to figure out the problem and help me learn.

Link to my set up down below:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9fdLBP

I have same issue with Overdrive have no idea why, far as I could tell it switches Gpu on and off for some odd reason. Just read a bit more on forum and OC it manually in BIOS. I suggest multy alone if you don't understand clearly how rest of options work. Plus I am not so sure about that motherboard it might spaz out. Be sure to install HWmonitor or HwInfo for temperatures, prime 95 and Aida 64 for stress testing. Before doing any of OC stress test it on stock for about hour and keep log on temperatures be sure that they are below 72c, you can also monitor it in overdrive not letting thermal margin too low 5-6c

I actually did do this late last night right before I went to work. Haven't had the chance to post that here in the forum. I got it to 4.2Ghz with stock voltage. Prime95 short FFT test after an hour came back with 23.8C thermal margin on AOD. When I finally get home this afternoon I throw it on blend for 24hours and cross my fingers. 4.2Ghz seems to be the limit before tinkering with voltages. If she's stable after that then I might give a small bump to volts since it seems I have a little wiggle room on the thermal margin. I don't want to go below 20 since I want this CPU to last a little while lol. Thanks a million for the response. I'll post the results of the stability test as soon as it's done. :)

PS. AMD Overdrive was indeed the problem. My GPU did not like it at all lol

Last edited:
Glad to hear, also if you find and odd behavior you will know its oc. Temperatures are fine ofc but still motherboard itself can be overheating check mobo temps to be sure in HWMonitor. AMD chips tend to have odd CPU temperature readings idk about yours but mine wont have correct readings below 40c dont let that fool you if temperatures jump allover the place.

I think Overdrive hates Nvidia GPU-s lol

You don't need 20c thermal margin for 24/7 to keep the CPU safe. Real world apps will not push it like stress tests will. You can go safely up to a vcore of 1.475 for 24/7 on that CPU easy if temps permit. I've overclocked more than one of those.

What's up? I don't want to highjack the thread, but thought I would help too.

It seems you have reached your ceiling at stock voltages. Before bumping your voltages any more. It would probably be a good Idea to do something about cooling those chips for your power phases. Your likely to lower temps or gain some more headroom at the same volts.

Is there any reason to go higher? Is the 860 bottlenecking the GPU?

Back