• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help OC Phenom II X4 945

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Installed 2 more case fans, ran prime for 10 min with an OC @3.3GHz. Core temps peaked at 50°C. Im not very happy with my casefans though, I bought the same as were already installed. Fractal Design Silent Series 120mm, guess theyll have to do though,

Installed 2 more case fans, ran prime for 10 min with an OC @3.3GHz. Core temps peaked at 50°C. Im not very happy with my casefans though, I bought the same as were already installed. Fractal Design Silent Series 120mm, guess theyll have to do though,

It is difficult to have an overclocked computer that is at the same time quiet. I guess you will have to decide what are the trade-offs for you.

It is difficult to have an overclocked computer that is at the same time quiet. I guess you will have to decide what are the trade-offs for you.

Yea. At the moment i have three case fans installed 2 in the front and 1 at the back, skipped the one at the top of the case which is obviously a bad idea with my freezer 7 pro since its facing upwards, but since i wont OC anymore before i replace the cooler i figured it wont matter. Thinking about putting the 4th fan at the bottom of the case pushing air upwards. Then I will have three fans sucking air into the case and only one pushing it out, do you think that would be ok? Luckily its easy to test :).

The Mugen 2 should arrive next week. Hopefully it will fit in my case and on my board, then i will continue with the OC, untill then ill leave it where it is at atm.

Gave you a thanks btw trents, really appreciate all the help all of you are offering here.

Last edited:
I removed my freezer pro today and put back the stock cooler since im going to send the freezer pro back. I cleaned the surface of both the CPU and the Freezer Pro but i noticed that the surface was not completly flat on either the CPU nor the Freezer Pro.

I am not sure but it almost looked like there was a small notch in both of them, it might just have been a small piece of thermal grease that was extra hard to remove.

Even though i couldnt get the surface on the CPU completly flat i applied new thermal grease (MX2) and put back the stock cooler.

I went back to stock clock (3 GHz) and checked the temperatures and it sits at 30-31°C with the stock cooler which seems fine?

When i apply a new cooler i will have to check more thoroughly wether it was a notch in the cpu surface or just burnt in thermal grease. What worries me is that it seemed that both the CPU and the Freezer Pro had small marks which I couldnt remove, almost as if one of them had a small "bump" which made a hole in the other. Notice that it was very small so i couldnt determine if it was actually going in our out from the cpu surface. It might of course have been thermal paste that i was unable to remove from both of them.

I didnt notice any marks in the cpu nor the freezer pro before i put it in place, it seems unlikely that they appear during usage?

What do you think? Should i try to polish the surface somehow to get it completly flat?

Last edited:
Ok, i sucessfully returned the freezer 7 pro and got my money back. Have ordered the Mugen 2 (hasnt arrived yet). And today I flipped and sold my new 945 and ordered a 955 BE instead... I lost some money but it feels better to have unlocked multipliers and i became an experience richer during the process :).

I think ordering the black edition CPU was a smart move as it will give you more flexibility in overclocking and give the potential for a more precise and balanced overclock with respect to both CPU speed and ram speed. You will also get rid of the blemish in the CPU lid you spoke of.

Last edited:
I think ordering the black edition CPU was a smart move as it will give you more flexibility in overclocking and give the potential for a more precise and balanced overclock with respect to both CPU speed and ram speed. You will also get rid of the blemish in the CPU lid you spoke of.

Im not sure it actually was a blemish. And if so I did some research and it wouldnt have been the biggest deal to polish it down. But im glad to hear you think it was a smart move :). It was stupid of me to order the 945 in the first place, but at the time I didnt know I wanted to overclock, and I was unaware of the difference between the BE and the non-BE :(. Now i know! :). I guess Ill create a new thread once I receive my new CPU and makes my first attempt at OC:ing it. Thanks for all the help with the 945!

Back