• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help/opinions on new mobo selection strictly for O/C-benching

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainman33

Hey guys I currently am running a Asus RampageIII gene and am looking into getting a new mobo to bench,fold, etc.. with. I want to see what your opinions are on which mobo is better for overclocking purposes only. No real gaming or anything just strictly a "tinker" toy. lga 2011 socket is what I am thinking since IB will be way too expensive for me since it will be the newest technology so something SB-E will be perfect. I am a huge Asus fan but seem to get a lot of good feedback about Gigabyte.

Which are better? The R.O.G. boards? The Deluxe boards? Or should I give Gigabyte a whirl and which Gigabyte boards are better o/c'ers?

Thanks for any help/opinions.:D

the rog boards generally have more/better bios options, and also sometimes get special benching bioses that others boards usually dont.
you should also consider z77 if you have a means of getting your chip cold as they seem to scale to better ghz's and for benching should be worth tons of boints for 2d as well as 3d benches. and the chips will be aboiut the same price as current SB chips. Have seen some screens from very reputable benchers with 3770k chips at 6.5ghz. Many of the benches are just ghz dependant and those speeds along with the high clocked L3 cache will make benches scream. Many of the single threaded 2d benches will run faster on current SB stuff, as well as many of the 3d benches

LGA2011 will be more expensive since it's the enthusiast socket and LGA1155 will remain the mainstream platform. Personally, I'd go with SB or IB over SB-E, the only real reason to go SB-E is if you need more than four cores.

The Asus ROG boards seem to have better BIOS options for the extreme benchers out there, but if you aren't doing sub-zero cooling, then the board doesn't matter as much.

lga 2011 socket is what I am thinking since IB will be way too expensive for me since it will be the newest technology so something SB-E will be perfect.

IB is going to be WAY cheaper than SB-E. IB chips are reported to release at the current prices of Sandy Bridge chips...they're the "peformance" replacement. IB-E, which comes out later in the year, will replace SB-E and take up that $350+ range.

dejo- bios options are exactly what I am looking for and I actually have been looking at a Gigabyte and Asus Z77 mobo's. I had a feeling the R.O.G. boards would give more freedom, just wasn't sure.

MattNo5ss- I would go 6 cores just because I never had one and would love to see what it could do but your'e right, I don't NEED it. IB will probably be it then.

Knufire-Awesome info. That helps a lot in not purchasing the wrong chip and allocate my money where I could use it the most. Looks like IB it will be. Short amount of time to get up some more $$ and focus on other aspects of this project.
Now with IB I guess my best bet would be to stick with an R.O.G. board to give me freedom of slightly more BIOS options and I am comfortable with them since I own one now and abuse it every day! Any other mobo suggestions?? Maybe a Gigabyte suggestion??

Thanks again for the info guys, your'e awesome:salute:

I dont see a benching team tag, you are more than welcome to join our team. All we ask is that you make a real effort to submit what scores you can for each of the benches that are point bearing benches at the bot.

We have a great group of guys, that are helpful and fun -loving as well. only issue is that you need to get 20 boints (with decent hardware, that shouldnt be a problem at all) to gain access to the benching lounge. Come see us.

I dont see a benching team tag, you are more than welcome to join our team. All we ask is that you make a real effort to submit what scores you can for each of the benches that are point bearing benches at the bot.

We have a great group of guys, that are helpful and fun -loving as well. only issue is that you need to get 20 boints (with decent hardware, that shouldnt be a problem at all) to gain access to the benching lounge. Come see us.

I will. In fact I am going to check it out now. I have an HWBot account and use it frequently. Guess it would be better to join up and share! Thanks again:)

The best motherboard I can think of is that SuperMicro X9DR3-LN4F+. It's EEATX, so it's really freaking HUGE, but slap dual E5-2687Ws in it with 768GB of Error Correcting Registered DDR3-1600 and it should literally explode anything you throw at it. Considering, however, that you unfortunately can't overclock E5-2687Ws, and that motherboard does not support SLI or CFX, I would suggest the ASUS Rampage IV Gene because you already have a Rampage III Gene and it would be pretty similar to your old motherboard and you probably could reuse all your other components minus the CPU.

The best motherboard I can think of is that SuperMicro X9DR3-LN4F+. It's EEATX, so it's really freaking HUGE, but slap dual E5-2687Ws in it with 768GB of Error Correcting Registered DDR3-1600 and it should literally explode anything you throw at it. Considering, however, that you unfortunately can't overclock E5-2687Ws, and that motherboard does not support SLI or CFX, I would suggest the ASUS Rampage IV Gene because you already have a Rampage III Gene and it would be pretty similar to your old motherboard and you probably could reuse all your other components minus the CPU.

I was actually looking at those supermicro boards and thinking about building one for 24/7 folding but like you said I want something I can play with and your suggestion is very valid. It also makes the most sense to have a similar board and use it to progress my knowledge than look at others in the future. Thanks man, I appreciate the reply.:thup:

Back