• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help out a Noob! OC'ing my E3200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Workingpapi

Registered
Hi everybody! well this seems to be my very first post in this

forum, I've been reading from it since quite a long time though but

decided to register until today. :attn:

So, this is my dilemma.. I've been reading quite a lot about

Oc'ing.. but it still seems very hard for me to understand memory

clocks and how to Vmod.. and all that.

On standard cooling and volts I have overclocked my E3200 from

2.4GHz to 3.2Ghz by simply increasing the FSB from 200 to 268Mhz..

anything above that will become unstable, I have read that by

increasing the Voltage in small bumps it can easily get (on

standard cooling) to 3.6Ghz and stable and even 4.2Ghz with

aftermarket cooling..

Can anybody help me out on how to get the most out of my processor?

This is my system config:

Intel Celeron Dual Core E3200 2.4Ghz OC'd 3.2Ghz
RAM 2.25 GB (1X2GB, 1X256MB)
Mobo ASRock G31M-SR2.0
Video Nvidia 9400GT 1GB PCI-e

There is one more thing.. my RAM's bus is 667, the 2GB chip is dual

channel and the 25MB one is single.. can anyone explain me why the

BIOS shows 2.24GB but running at 444MHz.. is this normal or what

does it mean? (sorry if there is a specific section for RAM)

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Omari79

Registered
Hi everybody! well this seems to be my very first post in this

forum, I've been reading from it since quite a long time though but

decided to register until today. :attn:

So, this is my dilemma.. I've been reading quite a lot about

Oc'ing.. but it still seems very hard for me to understand memory

clocks and how to Vmod.. and all that.

On standard cooling and volts I have overclocked my E3200 from

2.4GHz to 3.2Ghz by simply increasing the FSB from 200 to 268Mhz..

anything above that will become unstable, I have read that by

increasing the Voltage in small bumps it can easily get (on

standard cooling) to 3.6Ghz and stable and even 4.2Ghz with

aftermarket cooling..

Can anybody help me out on how to get the most out of my processor?

This is my system config:

Intel Celeron Dual Core E3200 2.4Ghz OC'd 3.2Ghz
RAM 2.25 GB (1X2GB, 1X256MB)
Mobo ASRock G31M-SR2.0
Video Nvidia 9400GT 1GB PCI-e

There is one more thing.. my RAM's bus is 667, the 2GB chip is dual

channel and the 25MB one is single.. can anyone explain me why the

BIOS shows 2.24GB but running at 444MHz.. is this normal or what

does it mean? (sorry if there is a specific section for RAM)

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

wow you are beyond confused

Last edited:

Omari79

Registered
Edit: i just downloaded your MB manual and looked @ what OC options you have...the board you have is not meant for overclocking, buy something like a Gigabyte EP41-UD3L

Edited for content - we USUALLY ARE NOT RUDE TO NEW MEMBERS
WarriorII
Forums Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

87dtna

Edit: , i just downloaded your MB manual and looked @ what OC options you have...the board you have is not meant for overclocking, buy something like a Gigabyte EP41-UD3L

You're posts in this thread were completely worthless :-/

If he's already at 268 at stock voltage, he can go much further.

I was able to get up to 4ghz on the stock cooler, temps would get a little toasty though because it required a lot of voltage-

cpuz40ghz.jpg

I also did indeed hit 4.2ghz once I put a TRUE cooler on there and a little more voltage-

cpuz42ghz.jpg

This was on a P45 board, which will overclock better than a G31 chipset.

What you read was correct though, 3.6ghz only required a little more than stock voltage and was fine on the stock cooler. I am not sure what voltage options you have in your Bios, will it let you change it? I'm sure Bios options are limited because it's such a low end board, but we'll see what we can do.

I believe my E3200 took about 1.375 Vcore to achieve a stable 3.6ghz, and 1.425 to get 3.8ghz. Above that, as you can see, required a lot more! But it was a great little chip.

Last edited by a moderator:

87dtna

Oh and about your ram, well, I think you got some typo's in there because there's no such thing as a 25mb chip. I'm guessing you meant 256mb?

Your 2gb stick might be capable of running in dual channel but it can't run dual channel unless you have another stick thats exactly the same.

While you are overclocking, you want to let the ram at low settings to make sure it's not holding you back. When you increase the FSB, the ram also gets overclocked because it's linked with the FSB. Some high end boards have an unlinked option so you can set the ram speed seperately, but yours doesn't obviously so we'll work with it as is.

Ram is DDR= double data rate. So ddr2 667 will show up as 333. So, you are at 444 so you have your ram overclocked a good bit and I think it's holding you back from being stable right now.

Just manually set your ram to the lowest speed, and you must also set the ram timings as well because if you leave it on auto they will get lower when you underclock the ram. What options does your Bios give for setting ram speeds?

What ram do you have exactly?

KonaKona

Trashcan Man Member
I think his motherboard might not have the option for raising voltage, but I'd have to check to be sure.

87dtna

I think his motherboard might not have the option for raising voltage, but I'd have to check to be sure.

Could be, but I was able to get 3.4ghz on stock voltage on my chip, so I think it's the ram thats holding him back ATM.

BumAround

Registered
Edit: forget it, i just downloaded your MB manual and looked @ what OC options you have...the board you have is not meant for overclocking, buy something like a Gigabyte EP41-UD3L and come back

Really curious on how to OC an EP41-UD3L since I'm a total noob here.

Nothing fancy, a 3 point something GHz range would make me more than happy.

My setup is humble: EP41-UD3L with latest BIOS (rev f5), cooled by a Xigmatek S983 Nepartak, CPU is Q9400, RAM is two sticks of Corsair DDR2-800 (CM2X1024-6400).

So far I can only do 343 X 8 = 2.74GHz with FSB:DRAM = 1:1, vcore @1.25xxx volts, ddr @1.8 volts, C1E and EIST disabled, PCIE set to 100MHz.

Help is most appreciated.

bda1967

Unless I made a mistake with my logic I'm going to say that his MB downclocked his RAM to run at the lower bus speed of the CPU. The CPU has a FSB of 800/4= 200 MHz freq. The RAM is rated at 667 MHz/2= 333 freq. With everything at stock settings the fsb should have been at 200 MHz and the RAM would have read 333MHZ at 2400 MHz clock speed (200x12).

Right now his fsb freq is 266 and RAM is running at 444 MHz as reported in the BIOS so he can go to 667 MHz in the BIOS before the RAM starts to overclock with his clock speed of 3200 MHz (266X12). I think the cpu needs more voltage because the RAM should have room to increase. Right?

EDIT: His RAM should be able to support a CPU with a 1333 FSB at 1:1.

Last edited:
OP
W

Workingpapi

Registered
.... First of all, thank you all! I can tell u guys do know how to work things out in OC'ing cause that's right, on stock speed (procc running at 2.4Ghz) indeed RAM will run at 333Mhz, and yeah, i Kinda' figured the 333Mhz*2=667Mhz thing but I wasn't sure, and well i am currently at work and cannot post from home cause I don't have internet connection right now to tell you the options BIOS gives me, however to answer some of your questions:

1-About the RAM, I have an Elpida DDR2 2GB stick dual channel, and yeah! sorry for the typo.. the other one is a 256MB titan stick single channel, both 667Mhz, and the BIOS does allow me to work with RAM frequency and timimgs separately from the processor and PCI-e, of course I have everything related to the RAM in AUTO cause I honestly have NO IDEA whatsoever on how to work with that... :(

Also, the CPU has a thermal throttling enabled which I understand it's like a thermal trigger that if it feels the temps are too high it shuts down the system, would it help to disable that? is it safe? also, what about speed-step, I think it is like a power saving tool.. should I disable that too?

3-For DRAM frequency it gives these options: 333Mhz and 400Mhz or AUTO. I can also modify values like:

tCL options are [6], [5], [4], [3] and [Auto].,

tRCD Configuration options: [2 DRAM Clocks], [3 DRAM
Clocks], [4 DRAM Clocks], [5 DRAM Clocks], [6 DRAM Clocks] and [Auto].

tRP Configuration options: [2 DRAM Clocks], [3 DRAM Clocks], [4 DRAM
Clocks], [5 DRAM Clocks], [6 DRAM Clocks] and [Auto].

tRAS options: [4 DRAM Clocks], [5 DRAM Clocks], [6 DRAM Clocks], [7 DRAM
Clocks], [8 DRAM Clocks], [9 DRAM Clocks], [10 DRAM Clocks], [11
DRAM Clocks], [12 DRAM Clocks], [13 DRAM Clocks], [14 DRAM Clocks],
[15 DRAM Clocks] and [Auto].

These are the DRAM volt options:
[Auto], [1.794V],
[1.851V], [1.908V], [1.965V], [2.029V], [2.086V], [2.144V] and [2.201V].

NB Voltage Configuration options: [Auto], [1.272V] and
[1.319V].

VTT Voltage. Configuration options: [Auto], [1.21V],
[1.32V], [1.40V] and [1.51V].

+1.5V Voltage. Configuration options: [Auto], [1.5125V]
and [1.5651V].

BTW.. what are all these voltage options for anyway?

I really appreciate if anyone takes the time to read through my Big-A' testimony, jeje.. but I just wanted to answer your questions the best possible, thank you in advance!

Hmm.. one last thing, this is my mobo's manual link : http://download.asrock.com/manual/G31M-S R2.0.pdf just in case u want to check out something else..

Last edited:
OP
W

Workingpapi

Registered
You're posts in this thread were completely worthless :-/

If he's already at 268 at stock voltage, he can go much further.

BTW.. thanks for that, I didn't want to give a bad impression by answering to those comments, however, yup! they are "no nice" and worthless.

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Omari79 your posts were out of line and rude. I'm going to ask you next time you post it be something to aid the new member. If you cannot help, then I advise you to not post at all.

Consider this your very first warning.

Reported!

bda1967

With you running two different RAM modules it is going to make the RAM settings a little tricky. You need to know the timings and voltages for both types if you are going to use manual settings. I recommend a configuration of 2GB x 2 sticks for 4GB total or a 1GB x 2 sticks for 2GB of total RAM.

I generally disable all power saving features when initially overclocking and then turn on the CPU throttling for protection once overclocked, just in case my cpu fan were to go out or something. I also leave all speed step and other power saving settings disabled so that my cpu is running full throttle 24/7. That's just my preference as I know others that enable the power saving features once overclocked. I'm not sure if motherboards are different in this respect but once I took my settings to manual, the power saving features didn't work for me so I never really pursued it after that. I figure that I overclocked it for performance reasons and if I wanted to save power, then I wouldn't have overclocked it.

The other voltages help you stablize your system as you increase the frequencies of the fsb, RAM, NB, SB along with some cpu tweak settings etc..

Check out this post at the top of this forum in the sticky section. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515316

And finally, :welcome: to the forums.

Last edited:

BumAround

Registered
With you running two different RAM modules it is going to make the RAM settings a little tricky. You need to know the timings and voltages for both types if you are going to use manual settings. I recommend a configuration of 2GB x 2 sticks for 4GB total or a 1GB x 2 sticks for 2GB of total RAM.

I genrally disable all power saving features when initially overclocking and then turn on the CPU throttling for protection once overclocked, just in case my cpu fan were to go out or something. I also leave all speed step and other power saving settings disabled so that my cpu is running full throttle 24/7. .......

Is thermal control option considered as a power saving feature as well, thus needed to be disabled? e.g. gigabyte's smart thermal protection.... please enlighten me.

bda1967

I'm not really sure how to answer that as I don't feel that I'm qualified to make that call. LOL! :) To me it's a failsafe option rather than a power saving option.

OP
W

Workingpapi

Registered

I generally disable all power saving features when initially overclocking and then turn on the CPU throttling for protection once overclocked, just in case my cpu fan were to go out or something. I also leave all speed step and other power saving settings disabled so that my cpu is running full throttle 24/7. That's just my preference as I know others that enable the power saving features once overclocked. I'm not sure if motherboards are different in this respect but once I took my settings to manual, the power saving features didn't work for me so I never really pursued it after that. I figure that I overclocked it for performance reasons and if I wanted to save power, then I wouldn't have overclocked it.

The other voltages help you stablize your system as you increase the frequencies of the fsb, RAM, NB, SB along with some cpu tweak settings etc..

Check out this post at the top of this forum in the sticky section. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515316

And finally, :welcome: to the forums.

Thanks for the welcome and the advise, problem is I am currently running on a low budget, but yeah, that's my plan, to acquire another 2GB module once I can.. is there any other advise you could give me? Thanks again!

OP
W

Workingpapi

Registered
Thanks for the welcome and the advise, problem is I am currently running on a low budget, but yeah, that's my plan, to acquire another 2GB module once I can.. is there any other advise you could give me? Thanks again!

BTW.. I am currently reading the post you suggested as I'm typing this..

87dtna

Unless I made a mistake with my logic I'm going to say that his MB downclocked his RAM to run at the lower bus speed of the CPU. The CPU has a FSB of 800/4= 200 MHz freq. The RAM is rated at 667 MHz/2= 333 freq. With everything at stock settings the fsb should have been at 200 MHz and the RAM would have read 333MHZ at 2400 MHz clock speed (200x12).

Right now his fsb freq is 266 and RAM is running at 444 MHz as reported in the BIOS so he can go to 667 MHz in the BIOS before the RAM starts to overclock with his clock speed of 3200 MHz (266X12). I think the cpu needs more voltage because the RAM should have room to increase. Right?

EDIT: His RAM should be able to support a CPU with a 1333 FSB at 1:1.

Yeah you are right now that he posting the ram timings I can see that. I wasn't sure how his bios was reporting it, I've had Bios' read actual DDR or the actual MHZ....meaning if it's DDR2 800 ram sometimes the Bios will say 400 mhz or sometimes it will say 800. Wasn't sure which until he posted.

I STILL think the ram is holding him back though BECAUSE having the timings on AUTO with the ram underclocked that much his Cas latency is probably 2 or 3.

Workingpapi- Manually set your ram timings at 4-4-4-12 for now (in the order you listed them there) to make sure your ram is not holding you back.

Thats weird that you only have options for 333 or 400.

So you don't see anywhere in the Bios to increase the voltage to the CPU? Vcore? Perhaps you have to set something to ''manual'' before it opens up another sub menu?

OP
W

Workingpapi

Registered
Yeah you are right now that he posting the ram timings I can see that. I wasn't sure how his bios was reporting it, I've had Bios' read actual DDR or the actual MHZ....meaning if it's DDR2 800 ram sometimes the Bios will say 400 mhz or sometimes it will say 800. Wasn't sure which until he posted.

I STILL think the ram is holding him back though BECAUSE having the timings on AUTO with the ram underclocked that much his Cas latency is probably 2 or 3.

Workingpapi- Manually set your ram timings at 4-4-4-12 for now (in the order you listed them there) to make sure your ram is not holding you back.

Thats weird that you only have options for 333 or 400.

So you don't see anywhere in the Bios to increase the voltage to the CPU? Vcore? Perhaps you have to set something to ''manual'' before it opens up another sub menu?

you know, as i wa reading through that other post about OCing.. I realized there should be such option... I'll probably check out more carefully today when i get home, cause so far I haven't seen it, it DOES show the Vcore voltage but as informational item only.. so I'll look more into that tonight.

So the memory timings you said 4-4-4-12 should be in the same order as the ones I listed?

And if there is a use, the processor multiplier is 12x