• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP. Over clocking my evga gtx 980 ftw acx 2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hheych

Registered
Hello! Excited to drop my first post!!

I've recently been overclocking my GPU with precision x16. I had a base clock of 1308/3505. After testing the GPU clock, reverting to default. And then testing the memory. I was able to reach 1480/3557. Testing them together. Now my question is, what exactly am I looking for when artifacting. Sometimes I notice a clear line rolling up the screen ever so often. Almost like a small narrow magnifying glass across the screen almost from end to end, widescreen. No artifacts. No tearing, no dots or weird flickers (I'm using heaven 4.0 to bench). I'm thinking the lines are stating it is a little unstable. Not sure if it's the memory boost or the GPU boost.

But would I benefit from (riskily) raising the voltage for a more stable GPU overclock? Or would it be better to just back of the offsets until the line disappears. After these adjustments, my temperature stayed stable at 64-65 degrees, and scored 1818.

I thought the FTW had something to do with the phases or voltage supply that you could up it a bit.

Any help would be great!!

Core i7 4790k 4.0ghz
Maximus hero vii
Evga gtx 980 ftw acx2.0
Evga 850w Bronze image.png

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
The way these cards are sold anymore upping the voltage a bit won't hurt it. They have it locked down to safe levels. Only add a bit and see if it helps. Going too far can push you over your power limit which you should set to max. Also these new cards will throttle if you exceed their parameters. You should check with GPUz ( sensor tab) that the GPU core isn't dropping speed while loaded. If it is then you will need to raise the power limit or back the speed down a bit.

OP
Hheych

Hheych

Registered
Perfect thanks for the reply. In GPUz is that just the core clock speed I want to pay attention too ( as well as the usual, temperatures etc) Do you think the clear lines on my screen may be a drop in speed/not enough power draw. My power is set to 125 percent.

Johan45

Hard to say what the line is actually from till you experiment a bit. You can try more voltage if that doesn't work then drop memory clock. Again if that doesn't work then drop core clock a bit.
I have to ask that 1480 core speed where do you get that number? Is that boost speed or ??

OP
Hheych

Hheych

Registered
Hard to say what the line is actually from till you experiment a bit. You can try more voltage if that doesn't work then drop memory clock. Again if that doesn't work then drop core clock a bit.
I have to ask that 1480 core speed where do you get that number? Is that boost speed or ??

That was based off the GPU clock offset. My numbers may be a bit off. I had raised the GPU clock on precision to 100, I believe that gave me 1479-1480, and I backed it off by 5 points when I saw the lines. Which gave me around 1474 after the decrease.

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
I find when I've pushed it a tad too far, I'll usually see flickering and or squares that are different in color then the rest of the picture. As Johan said these cards are locked down by Nvidia to safe allowable voltage, which isn't going to hurt them.

OP
Hheych

Hheych

Registered
I find when I've pushed it a tad too far, I'll usually see flickering and or squares that are different in color then the rest of the picture. As Johan said these cards are locked down by Nvidia to safe allowable voltage, which isn't going to hurt them.

Thanks mandrake, when you and Johan are saying the voltages are locked. Do you mean that within precision x, using the boost voltage slider on the far right, shouldn't overload the card because they are locked in? Or will I hit a point where the card will just throttle if pushed to far. Typically I've read that it's saying boost to 12 on th slider. Is that acceptable amounts. Sorry new to all this. Though it is very interesting.

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
I really shouldn't say it's locked because it's not, to be more clear the amount of extra voltage you can give it through Msi afterburner or Evga precision X even as far as you can push it with those programs will not hurt it. It may throttle due to heat or power limit though. No need to apologize, we were all new to this at one time, ask anything that is on your mind.

OP
Hheych

Hheych

Registered
Great thanks for the info!! I'll give it a go tonight and see what results I get. I'm sitting at a clean 64c with fan speed around 40-50 %. I'll boost the voltage, maybe increase a fan curve as needed. And see how I fare out, maybe eliminate the faint line on my screen from time to time.
Thanks again!! I'll post my results see how I fared out.

Johan45

What I meant by locked is that Nvidia has a maximum allowed voltage for the customer. The cards aren't usually at that voltage so you have a bit of headroom like 50mV. The max is locked though and usually can't be surpassed without some real effort. This way the manufacturers see less RMAs

OP
Hheych

Hheych

Registered
What I meant by locked is that Nvidia has a maximum allowed voltage for the customer. The cards aren't usually at that voltage so you have a bit of headroom like 50mV. The max is locked though and usually can't be surpassed without some real effort. This way the manufacturers see less RMAs

Cool thanks for the explanation. After doing a little bit of research, I'm wondering if those transparent lines on my monitor could be eliminated by overclocking my monitors refresh rate. Are you aware of anything like this? I know nvidia has an option in the control settings. Though I've never really fiddled, and am not to sure what the benefits, errors could be with OC monitor refresh rates.

And to go back to the GPU. Are there common numbers that the GPU clock offset. And mem offset like to work with? Any difference in having even numbers or anything like that?

Johan45

Not familiar with LCD OC so I'm no help there.
Gpus run on tables but I wouldn't worry to much it'll adjust itself

Vellinious

I haven't seen a GM204 card yet that couldn't hit 1500 on the core and 1950+ on the memory. There's nothing in that bios that's going to hurt your card, so push the power target slider all the way up, move the voltage up as high as you can (on the FTW, max voltage is probably 1.256v) and have fun. Just watch your temps, and keep a good balance there. Maxwells run SO much better the cooler they are, so a custom fan curve is a must when pushing them very hard at all. For air cooling, I'd set a max temp target at around 70c. Any higher than that, and you're just asking to add instability to your clock.

OP
Hheych

Hheych

Registered
Are these ranges reached with voltage control? I was OC'in with no voltage adjustments. And it crashed at a boost of 150 GPU offset ( gave me 1479-1480), with no memory boost. Although I think these cards are somewhat over clocked out of the factory? Maybe there's to much of a push?

Vellinious, what does the max temp target actually effect? I thought it throttled itself at whichever setting was set

Kenrou

Mine was done with stock voltage, 1414mhz out of the box and yes, most models already have a massive overclock from factory.

OP
Hheych

Hheych

Registered
Mine was done with stock voltage, 1414mhz out of the box and yes, most models already have a massive overclock from factory.

Sorry was that 1414 out of box, what were you able to boost too without voltage?

Kenrou

~1460 on the core before artefacts but does 2100 on memory (stock cooler ~70c peak) :(

Vellinious

My Strix 980 Ti only hits ~1460 on the core before artefacts but does 2100 on memory (stock cooler ~70c peak) :(

980 TI is GM200......

- - - Updated - - -

It does throttle. What I'm talking about is regulating it yourself. The hotter Maxwell gets, the less stable it runs. The cooler they are, the better they'll run. So, with stock cooling you really need to balance voltage, clock speed and memory speeds to keep the temps in a good range...start pushing them too high, and the temps raise, you're more likely to start seeing instability in your overclock.

OP
Hheych

Hheych

Registered
~1460 on the core before artefacts but does 2100 on memory (stock cooler ~70c peak) :(

Right! Do you find that say, artifacts you discover while increasing GPU, can be fixed by adjusting mem clock? Or do these not necessarily affect eachother solely. But can work together, but should be tested for artifacting separately.

If I'm making sense there