• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help overclocking 5 GHz i7 2600K on Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe with Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

What makes you think that chip has the capability to overclock that far? A certain percentage of those Sandybridges would get to 5 ghz but that is certainly not the norm. You're probably looking at more like 4.7 ghz.

Ozz1

im wondering as the sandy bridge is out of my league altogether and im not sure which particular sandy bridge model of cpu it was i read about , was a fair while ago now, but ive read there was a tim issue between the chip and the ihs plate (cant remember whether it was bad tim or just poorly applied from factory) which was causing excessive heat which affects performance and they delidded the cpu and retimmed and temps went down considerably allowing for better oc ability and also for just normal running

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
im wondering as the sandy bridge is out of my league altogether and im not sure which particular sandy bridge model of cpu it was i read about , was a fair while ago now, but ive read there was a tim issue between the chip and the ihs plate (cant remember whether it was bad tim or just poorly applied from factory) which was causing excessive heat which affects performance and they delidded the cpu and retimmed and temps went down considerably allowing for better oc ability and also for just normal running
All sandy bridge chips have solder ;)
haswell does not.

Ozz1

All sandy bridge chips have solder ;)
haswell does not.

ah ok silver thx, when you said solder, that jogged my memory a bit of what i read, was it a poor solder issue they were having then that was causing this heat issue i was reading about? as at the time i was considering looking at buying 1 and when i read about this heat issue i steered away from it

macsbeach98

Sandy bridge IHS is soldered Ivy Bridge and later is not.
Look most Sandy bridges can be pushed up to 5Ghz and some a bit faster for benching on ambient cooling but you will need close to or just above 1.5v .
With your Air cooling it isnt going to be a long term thing for 24/7 use the chip it will degrade quickly over time.
As said above try for 4.7 or 4.8 you should be able to get that with 1.4 or lower voltage

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
ah ok silver thx, when you said solder, that jogged my memory a bit of what i read, was it a poor solder issue they were having then that was causing this heat issue i was reading about? as at the time i was considering looking at buying 1 and when i read about this heat issue i steered away from it
I never read about a poor soldering job... If it's really bad though could probably just heat it up and fix it yourself! Risky though!!!
Sandy bridge IHS is soldered Ivy Bridge and later is not.
Look most Sandy bridges can be pushed up to 5Ghz and some a bit faster for benching on ambient cooling but you will need close to or just above 1.5v .
With your Air cooling it isnt going to be a long term thing for 24/7 use the chip it will degrade quickly over time.
As said above try for 4.7 or 4.8 you should be able to get that with 1.4 or lower voltage
Ivy. Ivy Bridge. That's what I meant to type! I forgot about Ivy and skipped to haswell! :chair:

Vishera

I never read about a poor soldering job... If it's really bad though could probably just heat it up and fix it yourself! Risky though!!!

Ivy. Ivy Bridge. That's what I meant to type! I forgot about Ivy and skipped to haswell! :chair:

Ivy Bridge wasn't that memorable, so you're fine :p