• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help overclocking Lynnfield (i7 870) on Biostar H55 mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

victor.m

So, I am having a hell of a time trying to get my i7 870 overclocked.
My motherboard is a Biostar TH55B-HD, cooler is a Freezer 7 Rev.2, and my memory is

G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) | http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231585

Anyhow, I've tried following some guides but I am absolutely not getting how to start with overclocking. Last time I overclocked anything was a 2.4ghz Pentium 4, and back then it was simply FSBxMultiplier, memory timings, and you're golden. Boy, things sure have gotten complicated since then.

From what I understand, I want to lower my multiplier pretty low then start overclocking my base clock. I am also supposed to set my RAM frequency ratio to 2:6, or as low as possible, but I can't see that setting anywhere in my BIOS. Instead it gives me "Auto" or arbitrary values like 1333mhz, 1600mhz, etc. I am truly lost and frustrated here, maybe just because my BIOS is so vastly different from what I'm reading about in every single guide. I've attached some pictures, can anyone provide me with some guidance?

Thanks so much, I am just so frustrated right now I want to bin this whole setup and just order an i5-4670k and a new motherboard. But I'd rather not spend the $400.

Vic

Last edited:
It really is quite similar. LINK -> http://www.overclockers.com/3-step-guide-overclock-core-i3-i5-i7/

That said, you have an H55 based board which isn't exactly made for overclocking in the first place. It has a meager 4 phase power, and ther eisnt any cooling on the power bits either...

As far as the memory ratio/multiplier, they are just showing the speed which in turn is a ratio to the bclk/FSB. 2:6 may be 1333 just as an example.

Honestly, it is much easier to overclock on Haswell, and that may be the best route...

I cant see 3rd party pictures (my office blocks it). You may want to host internally...: OCFinsertimages.png

Back