• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Help] Overclocking problem on AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Japperrrr

Hello,
I was wondering how I could overclock my processor any further. The temperatures are still very low, so there is propably a better result possible, but I just can't pass the 4GHz. Even when I put my CPU voltage at 1.8V, I still get a reboot as soon as Windows 7 starts to load. On the screenshots below you can see more information about my settings. The CPU is running at 1.6V, but in the screenshot it says it runs at 1.5V, don't ask me why. I'm using an OCZ Vendetta 2 and a Cooler Master HAF 922.

Hallo,
Ik vroeg me af hoe ik mijn processor nog verder kan overklokken. De temperaturen zijn nog heel laag dus er moet vast nog een beter resultaat te behalen zijn, maar ik kom gewoon niet voorbij de 4GHz. Ook al zet ik mijn voltage op 1.8V, krijg ik nog steeds een herstart zodra Windows 7 begint te laden. Op de screenshots hieronder zie je meer informatie over mijn actuele instellingen. De processor loopt op 1.6V, maar in het screenshot staat 1.5V, vraag me niet waarom. Ik gebruik een OCZ Vendetta 2 en een Cooler Master HAF 922.

wqrpjo.png.jpg

67picx.png.jpg

wv4srd.png.jpg

Ritwik7

Registered
What motherboard are you using?

Those voltages (1.6 - 1.8V) you're applying are dangerously high. 1.55V is the highest recommended for the Phenom IIs I guess, especially since you're on air cooling.

You may try using the AMD Overdrive utility for OCing your CPU first. Also, how are you determining whether your system is stable?

Give us a complete description of your system so we may help you further.

OP
J

Japperrrr

I'm using an Asus Crosshair III Formula. At the moment I am running my hardware at the settings shown above here. But it almost looks like the temperatures are incorrect, because 22 degrees Celsius in idle-state is very low when the room temperature is 19 degrees Celsius. I thaught that when the temperatures just stay low, I could use every voltage I want? When I use 1.55V I get crashes when I run OCCT. I just raised my voltage to 1.6V and turned OCCT on. Then I started Asus TurboV and I raised the FSB by 1 at the time, until it crashed. At a FSB of 225MHz everything is stable, but as soon as I go to 226MHz I get random crashes. Increasing the voltage won't help.

Ritwik7

Registered
That's a great motherboard you have. Firstly, 22c is your individual core temperature. Your CPU temperature is given by TMPIN0. I think the temperatures are fine. I'm using the OCZ Vendetta II myself and I'm idling at TMPIN0 = 32c. During heavy gaming it goes up to around 45c.

You cannot use any voltage you want when you're on air cooling. It might permanently damage your CPU. With your present settings I think you're doing great at 1.5V. However, since you have a Black Edition processor why don't you try OCing by simply increasing the unlocked multiplier?

Also, how many RAM sticks do you have? If you have two, then ensure that you've put them in the correct slots to function in dual channel and not single channel as shown in CPU-Z.

Since you're OCing by increasing the bus frequency you're also effectively OCing your RAM. So you'll need to increase RAM voltage too I guess.

There is an excellent guide in this forum that you should read first - Dolk's Guide To The Phenom II. It will give you a clearer picture on OCing.

One last thing, every processor has its limits. No matter what you try you can't push it beyond that. I realize that from my experiences with the X3 720.

Last edited:
OP
J

Japperrrr

My RAM runs at 2V. Standard settings for my modules are 1.8V. And I use two of them. I got 4 slots where I can put my RAM sticks into, but I thaught I had to put them this way:
[X][ ][X][ ]. At this situation, [ ] presents a memory slot, and [X] an used one. Do I have to put them like [X][X][ ][ ] then? At the moment I'm running my CPU at 1.6V with a clock speed of 4GHz and my CPU/NB at 1.5V. My NB frequence is 2750MHz and my RAM's running at 1500MHz. This is stable when I'm gaming and editing text. I tested OCCT for 5 minutes but I didn't have time to run it for an hour.

Kuroimaho

Put the ram next to each other, and unlocking the two other cores gives much more in performance than pushing those voltages on a dual for >10% higher clocks.

OP
J

Japperrrr

I unlocked my two extra cores, and I'm running my CPU at 3.8GHz at the moment, with a CPU voltage of 1.5V and a CPU/NB voltage of 1.4V.