• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help overclocking the 2080Ti Founders

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
I've started work on trying to maximize my performance out of this card since I put it on water cooling this week. The card is now cooled on it's own 280mm radiator. I flashed the FE card to the 380W max power limit bios with success. I loaded MSI Afterburner, ran the OC Scanner, and get about a 2040MHz max boost with 60C load temps on the GPU. I also now have the memory overclocked to 8100MHz pretty stable I think. It's running Time Spy at an average of 2000MHz, and I'm getting around a 15K score. In bone stock form I was getting about 14K. It's pulling the full 380W when I run the Furmark benchmark. My water temps rise into the high 40s, but considering the heat load going through it, sounds about right to me.

My issue comes when I try to manually set the core speed and wring some more speed out of it. It just won't play! Everything crashes out at anything over +130MHz from the stock speeds of 1733MHz boost. I max out the core voltage, power limit and temp limit.

My question I guess is how can I wring more speed out of it outside of the OC Scanner limits?

I'm also tempted to re-orient the cooling loop so that the card can take advantage of the 280GTX thick boi radiator with push/pull fans that my CPU is enjoying to itself. The CPU maxes out at 250W on AVX loads, which it doesn't see when playing games. Tons of extra heat dissipation to be had there I think.

Re-oriented the loop. Going pump -> CPU -> Corsair 280mm thin radiator -> Pump -> GPU -> 280GTX thick boi -> repeat.

Dropped water temps from close to 50C to <40C. Dropped the GPU from 60C to <50C. Far better.

3DMark is running rock solid at a 2040MHz OC scanner tested clock rate. No more clock speed drops due to thermals. Still can't seem to wring any more than +135MHz out of it stably. No surprise that I'm running into power limiting.

If it wasn't clear above, I went from dual loops to single loop with dual pumps.

All I can think of doing is executing a shunt mod, but I'm not sure that's a good idea with the 380W bios.

Seems the only way to get 2100+ MHz is to keep these GPUs under 50C, maybe 40C. Can't do that without a lot more radiator than my case can fit. I wonder how people are getting 2200 MHz, unless they're working with sub ambient methods.

Have you tried overclocking it manually Vs the scanner. They always leave more on the table IMO

I've tried to place the manual setting at the same point as the scanned curve, but it tends to crash out of 3DMark.

Ok, playing around manually and using the scanner test, I can go to +145 clock rate before the confidence level drops below 90%. I haven't tried manually adjusting the voltage vs. clock curve yet.

No point in trying to get that high as it wont be stable. You might be able to get it stable for one run, but overtime as you actually game with it you'll get crashes. I even had an OC on my GPU that was fine for one year, then I installed a new game which started to cause crashes and I had to drop the OC a bit. Usually the true stable OC is at least two notches lower (30 MHz) than whatever the max stable OC you can get on a benchmark for one pass is.

Thanks. I noticed that 3DMark stable and 2+ hour game stable were totally different things. 2GHz flat seems game stable just fine. 2050 for benching if I'm lucky.

My current card I managed to squeeze 2100 from the core, but was tricky. Took me a few weeks to find the sweet spot. I ramped the core voltage, powerlimit & temp limit to their max. Then I started playing with the curve again. I'll get 2100mhz right out the starting gate wether benching with 3dmarks/unigen or gaming. However on occasion depending on the map/load it will drop to 2050, but then ramp back up to 2100. You're going to have to start ramping up the voltage, powerlimit and temp limit to reach your goal.

If had it like this since day one.

Attachments

• 2100.JPG
    2100.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 65
My current card I managed to squeeze 2100 from the core, but was tricky. Took me a few weeks to find the sweet spot. I ramped the core voltage, powerlimit & temp limit to their max. Then I started playing with the curve again. I'll get 2100mhz right out the starting gate wether benching with 3dmarks/unigen or gaming. However on occasion depending on the map/load it will drop to 2050, but then ramp back up to 2100. You're going to have to start ramping up the voltage, powerlimit and temp limit to reach your goal.

If had it like this since day one.
The drop you describe is due to power limit. It means the voltage is too high, although with lower voltages I guess it might crash. Better power limit than crash, but perhaps the best thing to do is core by 12-24 MHz and lower voltage by a few steps

Back