• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help pc went up in smoke

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sramjones

Disabled
got a new system specs below. I put the mobo in then mounted the p4 2.4c with retail heatsink. then put memory in. then put in hdd then ran all cables. so i tied to turn it on. it didnt go. then again and again. so then i tried a different power supply and it went on for about 4 seconds and then shut doww its self. after the 4 seconds the processor went up in smoke it was a white/grey smoke. so i unplugeed it and then sent the parts all back to new egg. hope they will help me out

I rma the the P4 2.4c reatail heatsink,
asus p4c800 E deluxe,thermaltake 480 watt power supply,radeon 9600xt to new egg

ahould i also rma the ocz pc4200 512mb to excaliber pc i dont know if it still works cant test anywhere

did i do what i was supposed to or could i have done somthing else and what caused my cpu to go in smoke

P4 2.4c reatail heatsink
asus p4c800 E deluxe
ocz pc4200 512mb
western digital hdd
thermaltake 480 watt power supply
radeon 9600xt

I would guess it was a catostrophic failure of heatsink installation. Was the heatsink mounted with good thermal grease? I dont know how the new p4s tighten down but was it?

I doubt it was the CPU the stock heatsink is perfectly adequate of cooling the CPU at stock speeds if it is seated correctly, even at overclocked speeds it would not generate enough heat to make a puff of smoke, it would just fizzle out but like already said the P4 should of throttled down.

My guess would be that the Power Supply was faulty there perfectly capable of the things you described and you said it would not work until you changed the PSU. Wich PSU was in at the time of the smoke, the Thermaltake 480W or the other you exchanged?

-Chris

It is always possible that maybe the MOSFET power transistors on the motherboard popped - they are very close to the CPU, which might have caused the confusion (heck, if my new pc started to smoke, I wouldn't care where the smoke was coming from, i'd be sprinting to the wall outlet!)

They tend to handle huge amounts of current (all the power going to the motherboard - sometimes 10amps or more) and therefore a fault or otherwise could well have caused a mini explosion or fire, causing the smoke.

I'm not sure, but I think that the RMA of everything in your rig was overkill - for instance, the RAM might have been fine, for instance.

Hope all goes well, that you get some better, non-explosive parts back, and that your new rig works fine :D

it could of been the mosfet but when i took the heatsink off a very strong smell of the smoke came out of the processor and i tested the memory and it works fine so i didnt send it back

How would the P4 burn out though? They have speed stepping that makes it impossible....did you try the CPU in a different PC yet? Or does it have visible damage? Maybe the Mobo fried the CPU?

Back