• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help!!!! phenom 9600 problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

monaghanpete

Hi all
trying to get this setup to post but no joy at all
BOARD ECS 8100VM-M5
CPU PHENOM 9600 2.3
MEMORY 2X 1024 NAYNA TECHNOLOGY DDR2 800MHZ
GPU GFORCE 9500GTS
PSU Cit 700W
it will not post just beeps once then keeps restarting.
udated BIOS prior to setting up and have tried without components but no change.
I have booted it with a 3400+ proc and boots fine runs and oc's so the board is ok.
have had the phenom tested and posts ok.
really will be needing mental help
any suggestions would be great and save me from becoming a mental case
cheers
pete

Kuroimaho

I wonder, the PWM looks weak and there were problems with them, exploding on mobos with Phenom 1 cpus. Unfortunately couldn't find information about supported processors on the ECS page.

65W processors should work fine, maybe even 90W but up to you whether you risk it.

Describe the beeps you hear when the machine starts up as those are error codes and have meaning.

OP
M

monaghanpete

only getting one beep
then keeps restarting with no beeps
I think I might have to go for another board as its not going to do the job

theflyingrat

All 95W Phenoms and Phenom IIs are supported on that board. The power cap is probably around 100W; this board should have NO issues with a Phenom X4 9600, at stock speeds at least. Running out and buying a new board without proper troubleshooting is ill-advised.

The board probably isn't bad; you have evidence of this in how it was working previously.

Also, have you cleared the CMOS using the reset jumper or removing the CMOS battery while the PC is unplugged? I've noticed a lot of motherboards won't POST after a BIOS flash with a new CPU until the CMOS chip has been reset...

Kuroimaho

All 95W Phenoms and Phenom IIs are supported on that board. The power cap is probably around 100W.

Where did you find proof of that ?

Running out and buying a new board without proper troubleshooting is ill-advised.

Luckily none has recommended it. With propus and Phenom 2 around I doubt anyone would have such a foolish idea.

only getting one beep
then keeps restarting with no beeps

What is the bios of the mobo ? Is it a long or a short beep ?

OP
M

monaghanpete

thanks for all your replies guys
I got a asrock N68PV-GS thi morning and she booted up first time
happy, happy, happy!!!!!!!!!!!!
had to go micro atx as my case is a shutttle and tight for space
now to getting the o/c started

ppe1700

For what it's worth, I had an ECS mobo, twice. The first one made some serious capacitor squeel when powered up, like a camera's flash constantly charging. The replacement mobo was another ECS but slightly different / expensive model. It still made a capacitor squeel every now and then.
Good luck with the OC will be good to see how you get on :D