• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help pick a pump/res

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Guid0

here is what i would like to acomplish. I am a bit concerned about a pump pushing water up that high. what kind of pump ghp's would i need to acomplish this?

Iron Hawk

How tall is your case? when looking at the different pumps, they will show how high they can pump water. remember that the higher the water must be pumped the lower the flowrate.

Eheim and Maxi-Jet are probably the best Eheims are probably the best/most powerful, but the maxijets are nice because they are small cheap $20-30 and reliable.

OP
G

Guid0

oh yeah up the rad would be just a little under 2'. it just seems like that is a long way to for a liitle pump to pump water up and maintain that kind of flow steady. have people done this kind of setup successfuly?

muddocktor

Retired
An Eheim 1250 won't have any problems pushing water up 2 feet with good flow rate. I have a maxi-jet 750 that I use for pumping water into my fish tanks when I do water changes and it would probably do OK at a 2 foot water height but I wouldn't want to try it much higher than that. It can barely pump water to 45 inches to fill my aquariums up. The maxi-jet is much smaller however than the Eheim 1250 and quite a bit cheaper too.

Roger24

I measured the distance from the bottom of my case up to the middle of the cpu, and it was 24.5cm (9.6"). That means that a MaxiJet 1000 will do the job just fine, right? (Assuming I can get hold of a Chevette core and don't have to build a wooden box under my case).
Or is there more to figuring out the lift height? (That number looks oddly small when other people are talking about 2-3 feet lift height)

OP
G

Guid0

i'll be honest at this point money is not an object. this is PC is my baby and about all i have so she's gonna get the gooood stuff....thanx....i was looking at this kit . supposed to be 500GPH pump. and it sure does look sweet. Plus i have made the mesurements and everything is going to fit OKie DOKie.......i just wanted to know about the pump being good enough.

Pepsi

THIEF AND A TROLL -Silversinksam
Think of it this way I'm sure you know how lift and bends in tubing kill your GPH. A 250 might work ok. Myself I have a 650 Danner I thought this baby would blow the seams off everything, not true, but it does a great job. That 500 should work fine. Depending on what you think you might need I'd double it. The extra power can't hurt plus it will leave room for any expansion.
Stay Cool
Pepsi