• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help picking between two notebooks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rumbl3

Well I'm down to two different notebooks (unless someone shows me another) for under 500 or at 500.

I was looking for something with as much power as possible and enough video juice to play games like urban terror stuff like that maybe hl2 type games on a small windows partition.

Anyway i've come up with these two under 500
Asus 1201n works great with ubuntu
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220659&cm_re=1201n-_-34-220-659-_-Product

OR

Gateway NV5302u
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Gateway...rown/9605383.p?id=1218130488875&skuId=9605383

Them seem to be the two best options ( i hate intel)

But i'm a bit worried about the ati graphics and driver updates in linux. I talked to a guy using the gateway on ubuntu few things dont work out of the box but he gave me all the instructions to fix them.

I guess if anyone else knows any better deals that will work with ubuntu throw it my way for under 500.

I love asus but its half the machine for the money. On the other hand gateway is ati which not sure how well it will work in the future of updates, but its got twice the power it looks like.

Also i'm going to be starting back to school part time (networking) I don't mind lugging a notebook to class tho i guess because its only 1 classs twice a week lol.

Any suggestions?

UPDATE
Or i Just found this little beauty wonder if would work well on linux curious how 3200 radeon vs ion is?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114801

Last edited:

PeterGarcia30

that asus you posted looks very nice for the size and given the budget you proposed i dont really see much around......by your choices above im guessing portability ranks highly for you because if not i personally would go with a 14 inch labtop but you would have to increase your budget 200 bucks since most decent ones are in the 700 range the asus seems pretty sweet and ive read allot of good things regarding it im not sure how the nvidia ion graphics would handle light gaming i personally haven't used one i went over to notebookcheck.net and couldn't find any info regarding it. good luck choosing one btw the gateway isn't available at bestbuy anymore that's why i didn't comment on it

OP
rumbl3

rumbl3

that asus you posted looks very nice for the size and given the budget you proposed i dont really see much around......by your choices above im guessing portability ranks highly for you because if not i personally would go with a 14 inch labtop but you would have to increase your budget 200 bucks since most decent ones are in the 700 range the asus seems pretty sweet and ive read allot of good things regarding it im not sure how the nvidia ion graphics would handle light gaming i personally haven't used one i went over to notebookcheck.net and couldn't find any info regarding it. good luck choosing one btw the gateway isn't available at bestbuy anymore that's why i didn't comment on it

Yeah after some thought, heading back to school, and also plan on using linux plus quality of the build (not to sure about gateway lol someone just recommended it) I think i'll stick with the 1201n it's faster then my current desktop rig lol but in about 1/10 the size lol.

Plus I know it will work on ubuntu out of the box.