• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Please - MSI GS70 Stealth Pro 2QE - Network Adapters not working!! LagSpike

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sakmeeks

Registered
Hi guys, I'm in need of some serious help I've tried everything besides updating the BIOS which I'm going to do within the next couple hours. I just restored the laptop back to factory settings and the problem still persists!

This laptop is running Windows 8.1 using a Killer 1525 AC wireless/bluetooth network adapter.

The laptop connects perfectly to my router without issue at full strength. I can ping the loopback and my router without issue (no spiking) however, if I go out and ping say google.com I get dropped packets (lag spikes) every so often. Many times it'll be multiple dropped packets in a row. It makes it impossible for me to watch any streams (youtube, etc), play any online games, etc.

Here's what I've tried to do so far: Updated win8.1, upgraded all drivers (nvidia drivers, chipset, touchpad, bluetooth, network drivers, etc. everything). Uninstalled/Reinstalled Bluetooth driver, Uninstalled/Reinstalled the KillerNetwork Suite latest version came out this month, which also comes with latest driver for both killer ethernet/wireless adapters. Changed power settings to never turn off the HDD or network adapter, tried a wireless N USB network adapter and directly connecting my laptop to the modem by ethernet cable. Still get spikes. Tried resetting my modem/router also. I think that covers pretty much everything...just completed a factory restore minutes ago and it also did not help. I will update the BIOS later today and update this thread as that's really the only thing I haven't really tried yet that I can think of anyway. Maybe replacing the modem with another one could work but strange that EVERY other device in my house works fine.

At first I thought it was just my wireless adapter was faulty but after trying a working USB network adapter AND directly connecting to the modem by ethernet cable I'm at a total loss as to what it could be. There are multiple devices that connect to the internet without any issues. 2 iphones, 2galaxy S5 phones, ipad, and 2 other laptops.

I'm at a total loss here. Searching the internet there are countless people who have connection issues with newer laptops using killer 1525 (and intel's 7260). I can't seem to find anyone with my exact problem tho.

Any ideas? I'll pretty much try anything at this point. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

OP
S

Sakmeeks

Registered
Yeah the firmware of the router is up to date. Right now I'm connected directly to the modem and still getting spikes.

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
Did you try without the KillerNetwork software installed?
Tried in Safe Mode w/ Networking?

OP
S

Sakmeeks

Registered
I have not tried in Safe mode no. I have tried with KillerNetwork suite uninstalled and just using the latest drivers. Also tried using the latest KillerNetwork Suite which was just released earlier this month. Both still causing spikes. I'm thinking I'm going to do the latest BIOS update before retrying the drivers again?

OP
S

Sakmeeks

Registered
I brought up another ASUS laptop I have and directly connected it to the modem. Pinging google -t shows dropped packets on that laptop too. So It's safe to assume that my modem is junk right? I guess it COULD be the ethernet cable..suppose ill test that before I go to the cable company.

sobe

Unscathed Member
7260 in my lappy and I had issues when I first got it. But, over in the Lenovo forums someone posted a fix that worked wonderfully by editing the registry.

I'll see if I can find the link and perhaps something similar can be found for your adapter. But yes, lots of horror stories over various nics in lappies.

OP
S

Sakmeeks

Registered
Thanks sobe. I found that link tho xD you gotta add a line in the registry of the nic and set it to 0. But it was only for intel wireless adapters. I forget the line atm, but i did try it even in the killer nic folder of the registry which took me a little while to find.

I'm pretty sure that it's either the cable outlet in my home that I'm using or the cable or the modem..not my laptop. Gonna goto another known workin wifi spot and make sure tho :p

Xaotic

Very kind Senior
Before you go elsewhere, try to pathping a couple of sites. It will report statistics per hop and can more easily be interpreted.

Just open command:

Pathping www.google.com

for example...

OP
S

Sakmeeks

Registered
Thanks Xaotic for that good to know for future reference. I think I found my culprit it's the wall connection to the modem. After a long overdue nap, I went back to the modem/router setup and reset it again and connected it as tight as I could to the wall. Laptop is factory restored at this point. After uninstalling everything Norton I started installing updates and drivers very slowly starting with windows 8.1 updates, rebooting, bluetooth, reboot, killer1525AC, reboot, etc. all the way down the line finishing with the latest nvidia driver. For the killer 1525 I went to their website and downloaded the actual drivers for the bt/e2200/1525 not the suite. Uninstalled bt/rebooted, installed bt/rebooted, Uninstalled the KillerSuite/rebooted, installed e2200 ethernet and the 1525 wireless adapter/rebooted. Downloads were quick but I was able to update my laptop before and still had spikes so I wasn't convinced just yet. Pinged router/google no spikes...weird. I go for it and download Diablo3 (25gigs+) and it worked without a single spike! Average 12MB/s which was a lot better than I was getting before. Streamed a couple videos on steam and youtube and things were working. To be 100% sure I went to a friends house and hopped on his network and loaded up diablo3 and went to ping google at the same time and no problems there and I only had 2-3 bars.

I'm pretty sure this time I do have it running in top shape. Thing starts in less than 5 seconds. Extremely fast. Next test..a more graphic demanding game.

Edit: I wanna say thanks for being really fast on your responses. More people here willing to help out reading the forums than the MSI ones at least in my situation. Thanks again I'll be coming back for advice again! Just hopefully not too soon..