• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help please with new system, running on the hot side!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nitesbane

First of all, let me mention that I have built a handful of computers from the ground up, but this time I decided to order from a CTO company.

That being said, I just got my system toward the end of last week and just got the OS and vid card installed within the last couple of days. You'll notice that I ordered the Ultra MD3 console unit which, among other things, monitors temps.

CD: Sony 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive [+2]
CAS: CoolerMaster 690 II Advanced Mid-Tower Gaming Case
CS_FAN: Default case fans
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-930 2.80 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366
FREEBIE_CU: None
FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan
FLASHMEDIA: Ultra MD3 5.25" USB Multi Function Media Dashboard LCD Fan Controller (Black Color)
FLOPPY: None
HDD: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
MULTIVIEW: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
MOTHERBOARD: (3-Way SLI Support) GigaByte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Ultra Durable™3 Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 Dobly Audio, eSATA, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2 x SATA-III RAID, IEEE1394a, 4 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI [+49]
MEMORY: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1333MHz Triple Channel Memory
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts Power Supply
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
VIDEO: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5770

Anyway, I'm getting temps that are high enough to make the console unit beep and have its temp numbers flash when I do anything that requires anything more intensive than browsing the web. For example, playing a game that's fairly undemanding of system resources called League of Legends will within a couple minutes cause the console to go nuts. Idling I'm getting temps about 44 degrees Celsius. Heaven forbid I actually run a stress test!

It seems anything above 122F (50 degrees Celsius) will cause this to happen. Both the CPU and system temps are reaching 123F-125F. Again, this isn't even a highly resource-demanding game.

I have checked all the cables and everything is seated correctly. The temperature sensors are located on the back side of the MoBo for the CPU (the CPU plate) and on the heatsink, like the instructions for the console advise.

So, I'm at a loss with what to do. I am not even overclocking, although I'd like to do some mild OC'ing.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Stu

Sounds like you need to raise the minimum alarm temp for that control unit. 50*C is on the very low side of an i7s operational temps. These chips often run into the 70-80*C area, so if you're seeing 50*C after gameplay the cooler is working. But 44*C at idle seems rather high for a unit that resembles the Corsair H50. There's a review out on the Corsair H50 here if you want to check out how it compares to yours.

I'll have to look into it further, but there's no way to adjust the alarm sensor that I can find. The only dials are for fan control, and it's not software driven, either. :(

Update:

First trial of running Prime95, after only about 5 mins of running standard Blend test, I'm already up to a high of 79C on Core #0, slightly less on the others (I have Core Temp Running to monitor the temps).

Although this is my first i7, this seems high even at 100% load, no? Is it possible I have a faulty CPU water cooling pump or something? :(

The alarms should be in the BIOS. ;)

80C load is fine for an i7 during stress testing with the stock cooler.

LOL, I should read more closesly (though thats in the fan section of his post!! :)).

Anyway, that cooler with a single fan isnt that great. You read the articles Hokie posted right? The best case scenario for that unit are 2 fans in push/pull taking cold air from outside of the case. If its single fan mounted internally, I would expect what he is seeing to be in the ballpark...

LOL, I should read more closesly (though thats in the fan section of his post!! :)).

Anyway, that cooler with a single fan isnt that great. You read the articles Hokie posted right? The best case scenario for that unit are 2 fans in push/pull taking cold air from outside of the case. If its single fan mounted internally, I would expect what he is seeing to be in the ballpark...

I didn't have it OC'ed at all, although I wanted to get it to about 3.5Ghz, which is not pushing the limits of the CPU at all from what I've read.

I spoke to the tech support, and they said that idle of 45C is normal for this processor. I believe I am now getting about 55C while playing League of Legends. I probably need to check the load after running this game. That would be bad if the load was only 50% and I would be still hitting 55C or so, right?

I'm going to add 3 more fans in addition to what the case already has; hopefully that will improve the situation...

Try to see about a program that will show the temp in game, can't remeber one off hand. I have a Logitech G15 that has an LCD that shows coretemp and it works great for real time showings.

Back