• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Please!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jeid_2000

Registered
Hi guys, i'm new to the forums and i need help with two things.

1. Whats the main difference between the AMD Athlon and AMD Athlon XP? I have a board which will take an AMD Athlon up to 1.4GHZ and an AMD Duron to 950MHZ.

2. I've got some cooling problems with my Duron 900mhz. The heat is always up near 47degrees. the other day it was at 52!!! It kept crashing so now i just took the side off my PC. I have lots of ventilation in the system(3fans in there) there has never been a problem until a week ago. I took my fan off my processor and cleaned it out(man was it dirty) but no major changes. What do you think? dodgy fan? or dodgy CPU??

so i've thought of a third now

3. Is it true that you can't Overclock AMD Durons and Athlons?

Many many thanks

Jamie Reid

mjinxed

If this started when you removed the fan and put it back on, were you using a thermal compound? I have been led to believe that if you take a CPU fan off after a decent amount of use, it is a good idea to remove the old thermal compound and replace it with some that is new. Might help bring down your temp a bit.

MJL

OP
J

jeid_2000

Registered
its started before i took the fan off. it was the only reason i took the fan off

Well i can't seem to clock my Duron at all. i've made several changes in the bios and no luck. its an AMI bios.