• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Please :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zig Ziglar

Registered
Back in January I built a rig. Antec 900, intel e800, HIS 4870, raptor harddrive. Anyways I've never really had any problems with it. Today I decided to mod the case for better wire management. I drilled out two big holes. Was putting the thing back together. Got to the point where it was almost finished, I was just going to plug in all the peripheral power connecters to make sure all the fans were running....system came on about a second...then turned off. I've done everything I could think of to figure it out. I now have it to where everything except the cpu is off the board and the only thing plugged into the mother board is power. I even disconnected the cords from the case and manually jumped it...it is still coming on and shutting off. It only comes on for about a second then shuts off...I don't think that's enough time for the cpu to heat up so I don't think it's that....help plz :( ????

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
Did you put some sort of grommet around the holes you cut into the case? If not you could have a sharp edge from the holes you cut shorting out 2 wires from the PSU. Also, have you checked to make sure all of your components are properly seated? Any chance you could post up your system specifics? What motherboard, memory, PSU, and so on are you using?

OP
Zig Ziglar

Zig Ziglar

Registered
I couldn't find any grommet so I lined the holes with electrical tape.

Case - Antec 900
CPU - Intel e8500 duo core
CPU cooler - Arctic freezer 7
Memory - 8gb OCZ Reaper 1066
GPUs -
1.) HIS 4870
2.) HIS 4870 IceQ +
Power Supply - Corsair 750tx modular
Harddrives -
1.) Western Digital Raptor - 150gb
2.) Western digital caviar? 640gb

But like I said, absolutely nothing is plugged into the motherboard now and it's doing the same thing

Flurp

yea I'd make sure everything is seated properly, If you still can't figure it out, try taking everything out of the case put it on a box and set it up in the open so you can see everything all the time... try it with all your stuff hooked up,

do you have another mobo or setup to test the psu? another board to test the cpu? your ram seated good?

OP
Zig Ziglar

Zig Ziglar

Registered
Hmm, I unplugged the 8 pin power connector that hooks up to the motherboard and just left the huge 1 on, running fine now...

jmdixon85

Check that 8-pin carefully. I had a similar problem on an old P3 server. One of the wires inside the plastic connector had come loose and was just popping up out of the plastic casing when it was plugged in. Failing that do you have another PSU or system as Flurp asked?

OP
Zig Ziglar

Zig Ziglar

Registered
Took mobo out to make sure there wasn't anything under that I missed from the drilling. Set mobo on table, plugged in power connections, same thing happens. Checked the 8 pin power connector...seems to be fine..

OP
Zig Ziglar

Zig Ziglar

Registered
Put everything back 2gether minus the stick of ram...running fine. Literally facepalmed myself. So stupid, I dropped that stick of ram but assumed it would be fine b/c it was a light drop

jmdixon85

So your up and running with one stick? Seems like a short-circuit or static to blame if thats the case.

EDIT: Just read your last post, probably wasn't the drop that broke it, more likely static. Did you drop it onto a carpet by any chance?

OP
Zig Ziglar

Zig Ziglar

Registered
So your up and running with one stick? Seems like a short-circuit or static to blame if thats the case.

EDIT: Just read your last post, probably wasn't the drop that broke it, more likely static. Did you drop it onto a carpet by any chance?

No, hard tile floor lol. First boot up now w/o that stick of mem. So I'm runnin on 6gb of mem....actuing weird. And extremely slow..

jmdixon85

Yeah I think I would rather run 4GB in dual channel rather than 6GB in single. Suppose that would depend on if use use more than 4GB RAM tho?