• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help prepping for first time on LN2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lochekey

Senior Pink Member
So we are fast approaching the benching get together in Harrisburg at the end of this month. I am starting to try and get prepped for this so I have time to gather up anything I am missing. As this is my first time attempting the use of LN2 I'm hoping I can get some advice/pointers on prepping ahead of time to make my time at the gathering more successful.

As this is my first time using ln2 I'm going to focus on just cooling the cpu so as not to get overwhelmed (I will be bringing a hd7970 if somone is inclined to help take it cold but that is a different story) I will be focusing primarily on a 4690k using a z97 soc force, I'll also be bringing a g3258 as a backup.

So now that you have the backstory I'm looking for help on 2 fronts,

First, I'm looking for any general pointers on using ln2 and maybe some links to good reading to help me prepare. My main concern is to go about this safely both for myself and my hardware, I'm looking at this as more of a learning opportunity than as a chance to push my hardware. If I'm able to make some nice subs in the process great but that will be a secondary goal as compared to learning how to push my benching skills further.

Second, I'm hoping you can look over my hardware and equipment lists and point out anything I might be forgetting. There is also a few things I am having trouble finding that hopefully someone can point me towards a vendor.

So hardware first,

1 x mobo
2 x cpu
2 x 16gb (4x4gb) kits of ram (if I destroy 8 sticks I figure I should probably quit for the weekend:))
2 x psu
6 x gpu
2 x mice and keyboards
2 x monitors
2 x benching ssds
Bunch of assorted cables
Box full of different fans
Cpu pot

I will also be bringing an extra computer for general use that I do not intend to bench on.

Secondly my equipment some of this is for prepping ahead of time and the rest is for use while benching.

8 oz of LET to coat mobo
Roll of painters tape
Roll of frost king insulation
2 x shammies
2 x blocks of art eraser (is this enough?)
Armaflex tubing for around the cpu pot.

I still need to find a sheet of insulation to use around the socket and base of the pot any recommendations here? I have been reading through the guides in the cooling section on prepping for ln2 so I think I am heading in the right direction but I might have a few questions as I go along in the prepping process.

For use while benching,

Heat gun
Multi meter
Thermometer k type (still need to purchase)
Box fan

I think that is about it for now I'm sure I will have some questions as I start to prep the motherboard but hopefully we can start with the above first and we can expand as we go along.

thank_you_card.jpg

many coat the mobo with liquified vaseline. some say its better than LET but a mess to clean up after

many coat the mobo with liquified vaseline. some say its better than LET but a mess to clean up after

Hey dejo,

Thanks for this, by liquefied I'm assuming you mean heat the baseline and then pour it on the board and let it solidify again?

And yea that does sound like a mess.

I forgot to include it in the first post but I need some sort of container to dispense the ln2 into and then pour out of. I have an old vacuum lined stainless steel thermos that might work. Is this appropriate of should I look for something different.

0706162036.jpg

That thermos will be perfect.

Have stuff ready to go when you walk in... this means boards prepped, OSs on multiple SSDs, etc.

Have a second mobo... your mobo goes, you are done unless someone lets you borrow one of theirs.

I would check other threads while you wait for more answers, I know a few people 'recently' asked this before and there was some great info in those threads.

EDIT: Found one - http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/640477-From-ambient-to-SUB-ZERO

I thought about that and I kick myself now for selling my other mobo but I unfortunately only have 1 at this point. I figure if it dies I will just work with others and try to learn from them.

Hope to have the board prepped inn the next week our so that way I can post some pics and redo it it necessary.

I will look around for the other threads, I did not see them at first glance but I probably just missed them.

If you go the art eraser route then there is no need for the LET. Just like with DICE I pack my cpu socket (AMD Only), Ram slots, & 1st PCIe slot with vaseline. Learn your CPU's cold bug. For a frame of referance my 4790k bugged out at -140C. I thought I had a water issue and did a full tear down. It wasn't necessary but I did learn something so it's all good. I like to wrap the hell out of my pot with a big sham-wow. The extra insulation helps keep the cold where I want it and not where I don't. What else, Keep a fan blowing up away from the board to help keep the condensation off the board.

EDIT: Like always have a few SSD's loaded up and ready to roll if you bork an install. That's pretty typical and I'm sure you're already doing this. This isn't your first rodeo so I'm sure you'll be fine. Just enjoy the experience. :thup:

Thanks for the tips blaylock. I did some research and it looks like most devil's canyon cpus bug around 130-140 so I will need to keep this in mind.

When you say you pack the slots with Vaseline does this include the slots you are populating with ram, I would assume so but want to make sure. How do you recommend cleaning the Vaseline out by the way.

I'm gonna bring 2 ssds to bench on and have backup images loaded on a thumb drive to reload when I score one up.

I think my best bet at this point is to do a full mockup and take pictures along the way. That way I can post them up and get feedback on what needs to be done differently.

I pack both populated and un-populated. If ice forms inside it has the potential to short out. As far as cleaning afterwards, on my benching boards I don't. LOL Though there are 2 ways that I have done it. 1. Tip the board upside down and let a hair drier on high just melt it out. This takes a little while and can be pretty messy. 2. My favorite way, remove the battery and all HS's and throw it in the dishwasher. Let it sit for a full day to dry. You can even hit it with a hair drier if you want. Others have let it sit on their dash board in the summer to fully dry. The point is as long as it is fully dry before powering it back up there's no issue. The fact that it looks brand new is a nice bonus too. :)

All good advice,

Go in with reasonable expectations , don't try to do to much
if you get a few good results be happy

More than anything treat this as a learning experience,
Having the opportunity to bench with some of these cats will be more valuable than any results you can leave with

I will be popping my head in to say hello,won't be benching though as I am officially out of the game

see you there :)

I certainly can, Are you going to make it to the event ?

can also mail it to you if you would like

I certainly can, Are you going to make it to the event ?

can also mail it to you if you would like

Unfortunately, I won't be able to. I'm going to be heading to near Butler that day for a 3 week event I help run. I can't get out of it.

Which really sucks, but that is life.

Edit: In case that isn't clear, yes, please do drop it off. As long as someone on the team can use it, I don't mind it being out on loan. I won't be able to bench for a while myself anyway.

I do mine a lot like Woomack's here http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...mal-coatings?p=7708895&viewfull=1#post7708895
That thread was the first time I tried DICE and I lost 2 CPUs and a board that day. I have stopped doing the thick eraser all around the CPU bed as it transfers too much cold IMO , I have also stopped putting any eraser in the socket lid. That was getting into the socket and a real bi**c to get out. One thing I do that for my system is important I roll up a "rope" of eraser about 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick. I go around the socket with this "rope" and press it down firmly so it seals against the board. Yhis creates a pocket sort of. The top of which should be slightly above the socket. I have a shop towel/shamwow whatever you're using "gasket that is cut to accommodate the CPU and the rods for the pot. I lay this over it next. Then a piece of 3/4 inch piece of foam https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/en/product/WWG3F415?zone_id=PDPZ2 with a hole cut tapered to fit tight in the end of the pot and make sure it fits the CPU well. If an edge gets under the pot you won't get a good mount. After that's all prepped I mount the pot and slide the big tube of insulation down very tight to the foam gaskey on the board. From my experience this is the most important joint in the mix. Now I have an "air tight" pocket around the CPU. I haven't had any water even close to my CPU in a long time using this method. If the air can't get in then moisture can't either. Running full pot things get very cold after a few hours. Make sure that you have fans blowing up sitting on your pot, this help keep condensation from building in odd areas. In a day or two I should have time to do a mock up and could post some pics if you like.

So I decided to start prepping the board tonight and figured I would post some pics. Figured I would start with prepping the back of the board with LET before moving on to the front so the pictures are nothing fantastic.

I figured while I was coating the back I would just go ahead and cost the entire back in case I get a chance to bench any gpus cold. I hope to not regret this decision.

So anyways instead of trying to brush the back of the board I figured I would spray it instead. So I have removed all of the heatsinks and hold downs to get the screws out of the way and then taped of the sides of the board to avoid overspray.

0707161947c.jpg
0707161947a.jpg

I then proceeded to spray the entire back of the board and ended up with this after removing the tape. I may need to do a second coat but will judge that after it dries.

0707161955a.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pics but the only camera I own is on my phone.

I originally intended to get some pictures of the socket area to help discuss the specifics of prepping this board but forgot to take the pics. I will get pictures tomorrow once the back of the board drys and will lay out my plans at that point to get some feed back.

Last edited:
Looks awesome. You won't regret it as long as you're going cold. On ambient it help to cool the back of the socket of course so I'd peel it off before ambient benching. Otherwise good deal.

Thanks Blaylock I'm pretty happy with the results. It dried a lot faster than I thought and it does not look like I will need to do a second coat.

I grabbed a picture of the socket area in the meantime. I will mark up the picture tomorrow on how I plan to proceed but figured I would post up the unmarked picture for people to see in the meantime.

0707162306.jpg

Remember, so long as its ice, it won't short anything out... water, will. :)

Looks like a good LET job, though, I have to say, I have never used LET on the back, just the armaflex stuff and it worked just fine.

I would also have at least 2 thermos bottles and a helper if possible. that will let you keep on task

Back