• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! Problem with my GeForce2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stryfe

I'm having a problem with my MSI GeForce2 Pro 64MB DDR. I installed a new power supply this afternoon and while my system was booting up for the first time I was reorganizing some of the wires. Well I caught my fingernail on the CPU fan and bumped it pretty good. My system locked up and I had to reboot. This time it booted fine and came up with the Win2k login, I logged in but as it was loading stuff (stuff in the tray etc) the screen went all garbled and displayed random colors. I rebooted again and it keeps doing that. I also have Win98 on my system so I booted into that and everything works fine. So I figured maybe it was a problem with an AGP driver I installed last night. I tried to switch to the old driver and that didn't work out and Win2k wouldn' t boot at all anymore. So I figured at this point why not just reinstall Win2k. So I did just that and everything appeared to be fine even after I installed the the videocard drivers and rebooted. Then I installed Motherboard Monitor 5 and rebooted again. This time after I logged in the screen went all garbled again. I uninstalled MBM just incase that was screwing it up but it still doesn't work. I've installed my old Voodoo3 and Win2k will work fine with it.
I have no idea what to do now, any ideas?
Sorry this post is such a long read but I figured the more details the better. My thoughts are it's a hardware problem related to either the motherboard, videocard or PSU. I'd really really appreciate any help you guys can give me :)

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
hmmmmmmm

You've tried most of what I would try... Maybe remove the cpu, and put it back, remove the card and put it back(real tight), format/reinstall windows2k, install mainboard drivers, download a new video driver and install it, then install everything else- the whole time keeping your fingers crossed.

If you can test the card in another machine, do that 1st.

OP
Stryfe

Stryfe

Re: hmmmmmmm

Arkaine23 said:
You've tried most of what I would try... Maybe remove the cpu, and put it back, remove the card and put it back(real tight), format/reinstall windows2k, install mainboard drivers, download a new video driver and install it, then install everything else- the whole time keeping your fingers crossed.

If you can test the card in another machine, do that 1st.

You're following me around! hehe
I've actually done everything, and I do mean everything you suggested. Except testing the card in another machine since that would involve having to take it to a friend's house.

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
stalking

lol, I'm at work, and have nothing better to do than browse the forums all night from this crappy P2 pro 150Mhz win95 POS. You ask good questions, but it seems you've got a pretty good handle on trouble-shooting just the same.