• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP Q8300 running at 2GHZ!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KingvisiblE

Hi,

I"ll try and keep it simple. I had bought the Acer X3810 because of its great pricepoint. I then bought the cool master 550w power supply and an apevia x cruiser 2 tower in order to put my mini tower into a regular case. All this was done to add a pci-express video card as it would not fit in the small acer box(low profile needed) and the power supply wouldn't have been powerfull enough anyway. I had then gotten a Asus 9500 OC graphics card with which i was satisfied until recently. Recently i tryed playing dead space on my PC and it would lag , as well as starcraft 2. I decided to upgrade to a Sapphire HD 6850 that i just installed in my system yesterday, literarly( because it was such a tight fit since my motherboard is still smaller than usual). Now i did some benchmarks such as 3dmark for direct x 11 (http://3dmark.com/3dm11/1220679) and Direct x 10 ( http://3dmark.com/3dmv/3173552) and was not satisfied with the results. This made me think that maybe my other parts werent powerfull enough and thats how I got to this forum.

I have downloaded CPUID CPU-Z as I have read on this forum and was astound to see that my multiplier is 6 and my bus speed is 332.5 !!! My processor is a quad core Q8300 that should run stock at 2.5 Ghz wheras it is running at 2GHZ now, how is that possible?. With your kind help i'm sure i'll figure it out. Then i upgraded my BIOS from the acer website to P01-B1 (11/12/2009) but i don't seem to have any overclocking functions built in. I haven't finished reading your articles on that i would imagine that i have to tweak my bios with an update to open up those settings. That's besides the point. My questions are the folowing:

1. Whats up with my Q8300 beeing at 2GHZ?

2.Is my motherboard overclockable ? (Model: WG43M BIOS version P01-b1 brand AMI, RAM 4096 DDR3 frequency 532 Mhz,

3. What type of motherboard would you guys recomend for me to be able to overclock my processor and maybe run another graphics card in sly?

4. Are my 3dmark scores coherent with my system? should I be getting a better score , average of 24 FPS with such a high end GU must mean that my processor is slowing it down?my motherboard?

Thank you in advance for all your feedback

Mihai

Tokae

Your processor was probably just idling and that is why you saw it at 2ghz. Try leaving cpu-z open and run something like LinX or SuperPi. It will most likely throttle back up to its advertised speed. :)

OP
K

KingvisiblE

:shock: OMG you're right... feel so stupid... oh well moving on to OVERCLOCKING this baby... what to do.... anyone.. anyone? where do i get a modified BIOS version so i can crank it up? NEED MORE POWER... stable power that is not crash every 2 hours power :attn:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Doubtful your bios will overclock... looks like some OEM (Dell type) motherboard. Your only hope is finding the PLL number (found on chip on board) and using SetFSB.

OP
K

KingvisiblE

Got a new Mobo

Hi people. So after noticing what a crappy motherboard I had , I went out and got myself a new full Atx one, the gigabyte P43T-ES3G. Also i got a noctua NH-U12P SE2. Since i was at it , i added another 2 x 2GB of ram to my existing 2x 2GB of ram for a total of 4 x 2 GB 8 GB RAM DDR3. My video card is now an ATI SAPHIRE 6850 1GB GDDR5. So obviously i'm looking to overclock this baby. The stock FSB bus on my CPU is 333.3 . The memory's all running at 1333. FSB:DRAM 1:2. Core voltage shows at 1.232 at 2.5ghz. I don`t know where to start. All the info i gave you came from CPU-Z. Any hints?

Thank you in advance!!