• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help QUICK

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Andy71600

i was changing a setting in bios and then it seemed to freeze... i left it alone for 10 minutes and still no change. So i turned off the computer and now when i turn it on i get nothing. The screen just stays black. I need help FAST!!

Robbiesan

Registered
Andy, the first thing you need learn before playing with BIOS settings is how to clear CMOS.. you will find that many settings will either freeze the computer mid boot, sometimes it won't post (where you are now), or will load Windows but won't run stable..

Depending on what board you have there should be a way to clear CMOS by removing the battery and moving a jumper to clear (2/3) CMOS, then back to 1/2, and insert battery.. have a look in you mobo manual for this procedure..

if you need more help please let us know the exact cpu and mobo you have, BIOS version, RAM brand-model..

OP
A

Andy71600

asus 178x delux... and i already tried to clear cmos a few times... still a black boot screen.

Electraglide

Well, I have heard you can do a "hot flash" but that requires a working chip or board. if you cant get it to boot from floppy, you're sol and will need to send it in and have asus flash it for 5 bucks . Im going to try a hot flash on a chip i have, I ended up haveing a new one fed ex'd overnite for 40$

Chrome_Coyote

Registered
I just got my dead board back from Asus. Didnt take more than a week and a half. Its been good thus far, and Ive been pretty aggressive with my BIOS since I got it back.

I had a similar problem, and my Mobo wouldnt search for the floppy when I tried to boot it, It also couldnt be tricked into searching for the floppy by removing the video card.

just a blank screen, by all definition a dead board. I couldnt hotswap because I didnt have access to a compatible PLCC BIOS chip, so I was left at the mercy of Asus help desk.

What they told me is that Asus's Vocal POST reporter should still work even in the event of a corrupted BIOS. If you get the blank screen, try removing the RAM and reboot.

If the post reporter doesnt respond to the obvious problem that RAM is missing, the board should be considered DOA, because the problem is greater than just a corrupted BIOS.