• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! Raid array failure

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tachi1247

So I went to bed last night and when I woke up the computer was in some sort of suspended cycle from which it would not wake. Since I had to go to work I just did a hard shutdown.

When I got home and fired it up I got an array failure message. I went into the utility and it prompted me if I wanted to rebuild the array so I did. It appears to be working again now and it is rebuilding the array while I type this from my laptop.

My question is.....is there a utility I can run to make sure that the hdd that failed is actually working and it was just a RAID problem due to the hang-up?

Or should I just assume the drive is fine as long as the array finishes rebuilding?

Obviously I am running a RAID 1 array.
Asus P5Q (ICH10R) with (2) 1TB hitachi deskstar drives.

Lucky for me I just switched last weekend from my Matrix RAID setup or else I might have really been pooched.

jason4207

I ran RAID10 for a while, and had a lot of rebuilds. They were painfully slow and made the PC crawl while they were happening. It always worked out, though. Overclocking and RAID never mixed well for me, and that's one of the main reasons I went to a single fast drive + file-server. This keeps all my important data away from the PC I like to tinker with.

When I go SSD sometime next year I may give RAID0 another whirl w/ regular image backups to the file server. I'm curious if the SSDs handle RAID errors better when there is a crash or lock-up due to OCing too far, or a badly coded game/program.

RAID1 is not a good backup strategy. It is only good for up-time. A more robust strategy would be to remove one of your drives and put it in an external enclosure. Then do weekly or nightly backups to it. Ideally, keep the external HDD at work or somewhere else so that you can recover from a catastrophe. This also helps keep you safe from a virus. RAID1 means you have a virus on both drives.

OP
T

tachi1247

I used to run RAID 1 and a back-up to another drive but haven't had a chance to get that going on this system yet....i guess that means I'm lazy since it has been over a year since i put it together.

but yes I agree that it isn't a good strategy by itself. I've had friends that do a back-up and had those get corrupted when the comp crashes and I don't like RAID 1 by itself for the reasons you stated.

My rebuild didn't really slow the system down too much and it finished in 4 hours or so...but I pretty much left the system alone since I didn't want to have another "event" before it finished