• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP- Replaced Secondary HD - System won't start??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

My rig has the OS on the SSD. I replaced my secondary drive, my WD Caviar Black (data storage) as the original one failed with a new one from Western Dig.

I started up my rig and the ASUS splash screen appears and then monitor goes black with only the following message

"Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press a key"

That's all I see my system is dead in the water. My SSD is the default drive for my OS.

Went into the BIOS under Boot Tab boot option 1 reads exactly as I see it on screen

The line with P0 is highlighted in Red
P0: ATAPI iHAS224 B
WDC WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0 (953869MB)
Disabled

Boot option 2- reads the same but with WDC line highlighted

What's going on?
Thanks in advance !

Last edited:
My rig has the OS on the SSD. I replaced my secondary drive, my WD Caviar Black (data storage) as the original one failed with a new one from Western Dig.

I started up my rig and the ASUS splash screen appears and then monitor goes black with only the following message

"Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press a key"

That's all I see my system is dead in the water. My SSD is the default drive for my OS.

What's going on?
Thanks in advance !

Viper,

It's been my experience that you need to enter your BIOS and reaffirm your boot drive once again.

Viper,

It's been my experience that you need to enter your BIOS and reaffirm your boot drive once again.

Thanks. I went into the BIOS.

I clicked on the Boot tab of the BIOS, I typed above in my first message (after you replied evidently) what I saw for Boot Option #1 and Boot Option #2.

Below those 2 boot options is the following:

CD/DVD ROM Drive BBS Priorities - When I click on this it is set for P0: ATAPI iHAS224 B (the other choice is Disabled)

Hard Drive BBS Priorities - when I click on this, it is set for WDC WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0 (the other choice is Disabled)

I selected F10, Save and Continue, and received the same message as I reported above.

The ATAPI iHAS224 B, is my DVD drive. I googled that sequence of characters and google produced my LiteOn DVD drive.

It sounds like my SSD is NOT being detected?? I didn't even remove the cables for it.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Sounds like the MBR landed on the old platter, was it hooked up when the OS was installed on the SSD?

Sounds like the MBR landed on the old platter, was it hooked up when the OS was installed on the SSD?

When I went to replace the WD drive, the SSD was still connected to the Motherboard. Each drive has its own power line to PS, and is connected to the Mobo via its own Cable.

I didn't install the OS on the SSD drive today hah. I did that about 2 years ago. I only needed to replace the WD Caviar Drive which only had data files on it.

I don't remember if I installed Win7 on the SSD WHILE the original WD Caviar Drive was installed. I'm sure I did it that way.

Are you saying the MBR (motherboard?) landed on the SSD? The Motherboard was fixed in placed I didn't have to remove it.

******UPDATE*******

I pulled apart the case, and pulled out the cables for both drives, re-seeded them both. I started up the computer, and the SSD worked. However, the WD Caviar didn't mount. And oddly, in the system tray I noticed a Win7 message "USB Device installed successfully".

I opened the Control Panel, and in the Devices with Removable Storage is an icon shaped like a HD (Drive G). I don't have a USB drive in there.

This gets more odd each time.

Last edited:
Alright, now that it's working, can you post a screenshot of disk management?

Alright, now that it's working, can you post a screenshot of disk management?

I had it working...It isn't working now, same issue.

I have the drive mounted and working.

I still have no idea why the G drive appeared via my Dell monitor. The G drive is from the Dell Monitor in my sig file. I pulled out the USB cable leading from the monitor to my rig and the "G drive" disappeared instantly. That's really odd because I've had this plugged in before and this little drive never appeared.

***UPDATE***

Something isn't right. I had the computer functioning. I then plugged in my iphone (connected via the Dell monitor) while the computer was on (behaved normally), and I plugged in the cable from my ISP.

I restarted the computer and observed the EXACT same error I just posted about. What the heck is wrong?

Last edited:
Not working...see above.

I took off both side panels and the top panel of the case, and Win7 magically loaded. I don't know exactly what the issue is. My only guess is that the back panel (behind the Mobo where most of the cables are) is somehow tugging on a cable and preventing Win7 loading.

IF that's the case, why this wasn't happening before, I don't know.

Ah, that update wasn't there when I loaded the page.

Sounds like a grounding issue to me.

Ah, that update wasn't there when I loaded the page.

Sounds like a grounding issue to me.

Well I took off the panels, reseeded the cables. Then I added back each panel one at a time, and restarted the computer each time. No problems, the OS loaded fine.

BUT here's the shocker to me at least, while I had the computer loaded into Win7, I plugged in my ISP cable, and I heard a buzz through the speakers, and my monitor went out and the computer restarted and I saw the SAME message all over again!!

Then I restart it just to go into my BIOS, and the SSD isn't even there any more. What the heck.

I took out my ISPs cable. Unplugged the Power Supply. Disconnected the cable at the SSD drive's input, reconnected it, (left my panels off). Turned on computer and that screen asking if you closed Windows abnormally was shown, and I selected Load Windows Normally. Windows loaded just fine.

Then I turned off the computer, THIS time I plugged my ISPs cable in (computer panels off), and turned on the computer, and Win7 loaded just fine.

I was able to receive email and surf the net, I checked only briefly.

THIS is REALLY ODD...ANY IDEAS would be APPRECIATED.

PRIOR to my WD HD failure, I had to unplug my ISP's cable from the back of my computer while it's on, and THAT never shut down my system, let alone cause it to fail to stop loading.

ANY IDEAS??

Viper, you have one of our best assisting but this is above my pay grade after
my initial post. At least you're back up and working but I agree this sounds like a
motherboard / connector / grounding issue.

One thing that stands out is the lack of booting when you had your iphone plugged in. I've seen this before as it treats the iphone as an external hdd/bootable drive and can't boot and throws an error (same things happen with USB drives if the computer isn't smart enough to give up and move on to another drive).

It is also strange that in your above lists the SSD wasn't listed in BIOS - I assume [now that you are back up and running] that the SSD is showing up consistently in the BIOS?

The LAN cable causing issues booting is rather unusual, I could only imagine it causing a problem if the network card was set as the only bootable device (and it tried to use PXE) or if it was somehow causing a short (highly unusual, but I suppose possible if the cable is frayed at some point)

I would suggest building the system outside the case with only minimal components then adding parts one-by-one.
This lets you find out what component/peripheral is causing you the headache.

Thanks everyone. For now it's working, I didn't do anything different. I have a feeling it's only "existing" with some intermitant issue that seems to occur when there is cable movement. I'm only basing that statement on the fact that it loads fine when the sides were off.

What puzzles me is why NOW? I can't imagine I moved the SSD that much to cause the connectors to go bad in some way.

I suspect I'll know more regarding my ISPs cable shutting down my system the next time their router falls out of sync and I need to pull the cable out. The cable itself is brand new so it "can't" be frayed.

This is awfully mysterious I'll admit.

One last thing, I looked through my manual and I wonder if LED error code test light/button would be helpful in this case? I don't know if the error codes I read in the manual would be able to diagnose the problem.

I'd like to build it back up, but during the holidays I don't have any time. It may just exist as it is for now. =(

I've seen some weird stuff, but this is by far the weirdest thing I've ever seen. Never swapped out a hard drive and then had the OS drive not be detected. To me it sounds like a bad cable or connector on the SSD or the MOBO. Is there a way to test that?

you dont have a spare Ethernet card do you? i would try plugging the isp cable into that and see if the problem occurs with the isp shutting your computer down...

Back