• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! rtx 2080 ventus re-paste

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

motherboard1

I re-pasted my 2080 because it was running loud and hot. You'll see there is very little coverage over the GPU from the factory. The re-paste worked like a charm and the card ran quite as a mouse for about an hour, then my speakers gave a sudden stuttering noise and my computer blacked out.

I feared that maybe my paste was too thick and could have poured over and shorted something, but upon re-visiting my paste job it looks to me like it was ideal, but I now notice what looks like oily patches on different parts of the board, could anybody tell me what I'm looking at? Actually, upon looking at some of the "Before" pictures, the oily stuff was already there. Maybe the Card just wasn't seated good, I hope.

I'll include pictures of what MSI's paste looked like when I removed the heat sink and then another picture showing what I'm seeing now. I didn't bother trying to remove the original paste from around the edges because I didn't want to risk damaging the small resisters or whatever located around the outside of the GPU.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 16
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 14
I see PLENTY of factory paste there. It spilled out over the sides, in fact.

As far as the oily stuff, that's likely from the thermal pads.

I'd try reseating, yes. What thermal paste did you use?

I see PLENTY of factory paste there. It spilled out over the sides, in fact.

As far as the oily stuff, that's likely from the thermal pads.

I'd try reseating, yes. What thermal paste did you use?
I used Arctic Silver

AS5 is slightly capacitive. I'd wipe that whole area clean carefully with some Q-tips and rubbing alcohol... give it a whirl again. Wipe any excess oil off too while you're at it.

Back