• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP!! save my data

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

captain_sHiFTy

i need some help. i just installed a new mobo and i didnt know that i had to reinstall windows xp to do so. so i reinstalled windows praying that i wouldnt lose everything in my documents folder. then when it finished, i made sure to make a user name that wasnt the same as my old one.

the folder for my old user is still there in c:\documents and settings, but i cant access it (had a password protection before), and i also cant move, copy, or do basicly anything to it.

any suggestions?

i have a bunch of pictures and settings etc that i need from there. i ve already backed up everything else on the hard drive i need, except for that folder

this is touch and go but try this...

Get Norton Ghost, Make an image of the drive... then reinstall windows... Then install Norton Ghost on your computer, Then open up the image using Ghost Explorer and get your files from there.... Done this before...

you need to take ownership of the directory. you can do this within the security tab of the properties of the folder.

thanks.
i cant try any of this until tommorrow. :p
i had to reset my cmos (set my fsb too high), and now its not reading my pci video card. so i have to wait until my geforce 4 gets back from being rma'd

thanks so much everyone :)

ok the ownership thing didnt work. im using windows xp home edition.

im trying the norton ghost thing. how big is a backup usually? will it fit on one cd?

Back