• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra(black)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikejson

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
I just got this board in and installed windows 98(eventually working to install windows Xp) I installed everything as planned except I'm getting an error with my USB port, I can't install the driver for it because windows cannot communicate with it. windows error code (11). I tried going ahead with the windows Xp upgrade and no go. It stalls right when windows tries to initiate the PnP stuff(windows boot up screen). The screen just freezes, leading me to believe that windows is stalling on the same driver that windows 98 was. Has anyone had this problem before? Has anyone heard of this with this board?

I have updated all BIOS
Downloaded all the latest drivers from www.Soyo.com
tried installing windowsXp from boot up(not an upgrade version)
I am using all confirmed working parts(ie, RAM, CPU, CD-ROM, VIDEO AGP card, everything pulled from my previous computer, which was in perfect working order, just not overclocked enough hehe).

Thanks for you help to all that apply
Mike

G-PHoRCe

I HAVE THE SAME BOARD AS YOU DO i had several problem for the same usb driver while i was using windows millenium. the damn thing wouldn't shut down because according to my research the usb drivers. well i installed the new driver and everything works fine execpt that i couldn't restart my computer. then i made a clean intalation with windiws xp pro which was the solution, everything works great, not a single problem.

XP200+ @149fsb
256mb smamsung 2700
PNY TI-4600 @320/730
soyo dragon ultra black

OP
M

mikejson

I loaded windows Xp on my HDD using a different computer(only way to get past it hanging on initial boot up after starting the loading). I got it loaded on the other computer transferred the HDD to my case running the dragon inside. I booted up, it went through all the way to the desktop, and it started detecting all the new devices(since it was a completely different computer) it installed about 4 things before it reached the USB ports, it installed 1 of them then on the second one it hung, completely freezing my system, I couldn't ctrl+alt+delete or anything. I am trying everything with no luck, I guess this will be a RMA. That sucks bad....

Talyn

Registered
if i may
i beleive i can be of assitance as i have owned
1) KT266 Dragon (the orig)
2) KT266A Dragon Plus (black)
3) KT333 Dragon Ultra Platinum

ive been very pleased with dragon boards and ive used all of them but the lite

i beleive your problem is in your BIOS, in order for the USB ports to work correctly they need to be both enabled AND have access to an IRQ, if your USB isnt being assigned an IRQ by the BIOS then windows will give a code 11 and of coruse the USB wont work
i encountered this problem with the first dragon board i got but as soon as i went into the bios and reset the system config and enabled USB to have access to its own IRQs, the USB started working fine
as for drivers- of course they wont install correctly if the BIOS doesnt give your USB plug an IRQ, or at least that has been my expereicne, also its always good to have the latest drivers, i update my system drivers every 45 days like clockwork :D and i am very pleased with my soyo boards

the only real problem i ever had was with the orig kt266 dragon, the onboard lan didnt work, driver would install and the lights would come on but i coulnt get access to the network, but i went back to the store and they happily replaced the board on the spot, and the replacement worked without a hitch

OP
M

mikejson

Ok I tried going into the BIOS and enabling the USB ports, I didn't find anything to say "give USB ports IRQ settings" but when I was in windows 98 the other ports(working ones) said they had valid IRQ, USB ports are PnP things. This means you don't have to actually assign IRQ in BIOS settings. Your operating system will assign them. That wasn't really the problem, it was more like Windows couldn't even communicate with the actual controller of the port.

Needless to say, the board is on it's way back to the place where I bought it. I have directed the techs from there to this forum and another one I use for tech help when I can't troubleshoot the problem successfully myself.
So if anyone has anymore advice it would be nice if you posted it, for the sake of the techs that will be looking at this site, trying to figure out all the steps I took before sending it back to them.

thanks again for all your help
Mike

Talyn

Registered
go into your bios under PNP/PCI config it asks if you want to assign an IRQ for the USB tell it yes
then where it says reset config data, enable it

then reboot the machine, and this should fix the problem

Talyn

Registered
lol. i just realized you said you RMA'ed it,
chances are they are going to do what i just said, see no problem, and send it back
i may be wrong tho, i dont know everything but i do beleive im correct on this one, so *Please* let me know how it works out

OP
M

mikejson

I have this thread marked, so I will be letting you know exactly what goes on. I looked into the BIOS one last time before I RMAed it(this was of course before you posted what you have said about the BIOS settings and assigning IRQ's to the USB ports), I couldn't seem to see that actual function when I was browsing through it. I did however disable and enable the USB ports, but still had no change. I don't know man, maybe I should go back to the books and learn my A+ all over again....

Anyway I'll let you know exactly what happens

OP
M

mikejson

Oh, forgot to add something. I was in windows 98(which didn't automatically load and halt with the driver). It created a ASD file(look it up in your help file to know what ASD is).
this is the exact driver it halted my system loading

Starting a device
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3038&SUBSYS_12340925&REV_50\BUS_00&DEV_0E&FUNC_01
CI \V EN _1 10 6& DE V_ 30 38 &S UB SY S_ 12 34 09 25 &R EV _5 0\ BU S_ 00 &D EV _0 E& FU NC _0 1

that's what was in the log it created. Another thing, it said the IRQ was fine, along with the I/O range, which lead me to believe that it was getting an IRQ and wasn't getting conflicts, it just couldn't be communicated with...

OP
M

mikejson

I have now received my new board. Turns out that the USB controller was the cause of the problem. Improper embedding.
I have my new board and have finished putting it together. Totally happy now 😄

Taylor

I may have something to offer on this one too, although I don't have the xp333, but a dragon and dragon plus. In particular I had a hitch with the usb- in the bios settings, you can choose "fast" or "normal" for performance, choosing "fast" will pre-select a bunch of other setting in different categories in the bios, like for instance in integrated peripherals it disbles usb until you go turn it back on... and keeps disabling it everytime you go into your bios settings.. For another thing you won't have any choices in cas latency, it picks it for you. Leave the setting at normal AND MAKE YOUR CHOICES YOURSELF ON EVERYTHING. This way you don't have to go to integrated peripherals and change it back to "enable all usb" every time you open the bios settings.

OP
M

mikejson

It's all fine and dandy now

Everything is runnning smooth as silk, I even dropped my CPU temps down a bit. I haven't actually did a strong overclock yet but I'm attempting it this evening. Wish me luck ;)

Oh of course I'll need one of these :beer: beside me so I can enjoy myself while I pull of the miracle 200MHz OC