• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Stabilizing 4GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xlivewire7x

Hey everyone! I recently had to reset my CMOS and lost my settings for a stable 3.6 GHz build with my Phenom II X4 940 BE. I knew I could push my system further than that, and that's what I want to do. I'm still running on air cooling but I have a Coolermaster V8 which keeps my CPU nice and cool. Right now I am running on 3.8 GHz but haven't tested for stability. Anyway, I'm just going to post the settings I've changed in the BIOS and see if anyone can help me out :).

CPU Voltage: 1.5375 V
CPU Multi: 19x
FSB: 200 (Default)
HTT + NB: 2.4 GHz
NB Volt: 1.2875 V
DRAM Volt: 2.1 V

Also, a little off topic but I was considering upgrading my RAM to either 6 or 8 GB. Would I notice any real difference? I game and multitask but don't do stuff like encoding.

Thanks!

I'm going to pop your bubble with a big dart.. you can't get a 940 100% stable with 4.0ghz unless at 20C load.

Sorry :(

To read more about how why and everything, check my guide in my sig.

Okay, that's fine that I can't do 4GHz, worth a try :). I still want to do 3.8 stable and I'll read up on you guide for that. I did take a glimpse at your thread about lowering the vcore but didn't read into it to much. Are you saying that you should keep the vcore as low as possible and use the NB core voltage to try to reach stability?

not exactly. the CPU-NBv can be used to help stablize and in effect lower your CPUv at times. But you have factor in the thermal. The CPU-NB will bring more heat onto your CPU, but will stabilize better than raisin your CPUv

Yeah thats about what you should see with a 64bit OS. Try messing with the RAM timings and CPU-NB and CPU-NBv to help stabilize. If you are using a 1:2 ratio keep the timings near 5-5-5-15-26 (depends on RAM, may not work for yours) if a 5:8 Ratio use a 5-7-7-26-32 (again may work but may not as well).

Yeah thats about what you should see with a 64bit OS. Try messing with the RAM timings and CPU-NB and CPU-NBv to help stabilize. If you are using a 1:2 ratio keep the timings near 5-5-5-15-26 (depends on RAM, may not work for yours) if a 5:8 Ratio use a 5-7-7-26-32 (again may work but may not as well).

I'm not very good at RAM timings so I'm a bit reluctant to start that right now. I did want to share that I was able to almost boot into Windows with the following settings:
Multi = 19x
CPU+NB = 2.4GHz
HTT = 1.4GHz
Vcore = 1.4875
CPU/NBV = 1.225
DRAM = 2.1V

The thing is is that I can't seem to find the right combo to get into Windows stable at 3.8. I probably could if I upped the Vcore but I'm afraid of pushing it into the 1.5+ zone because that seems way to high. I'll keep playing with the settings but if anyone has any suggestions, feel free to give them.
BTW my RAM is at 1:2 ratio.

Yeah you need to bring that CPUv up to 1.55 for a good stabilization.

Quite, Yeah, I messed up on that timing again. For some odd reason I can't seem to remember it to well :(

Okay, thanks a lot for the help! Ran stress test for 50 minutes and no crashing after I set the vcore to 1.55v. I may try to push it to 3.9GHz so what is the limit to where I shouldn't push the vcore anymore? 1.6v?

Okay, thanks a lot for the help! Ran stress test for 50 minutes and no crashing after I set the vcore to 1.55v. I may try to push it to 3.9GHz so what is the limit to where I shouldn't push the vcore anymore? 1.6v?

What are your temps at 1.55v!?! If they're over 55*C then its far enough. Most PII users stop around 1.5v-1.55v unless they have some nice WC on it. Hell.. most I see like it below 1.5v.

You can hypothetically go to an infinite voltage with enough cooling, but on air I wouldn't go above 1.55.

Back