• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help thiddy build a computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I didn't get a lot of time to play with the processor last night, but I got to overclocking/undervolting quite a bit. Compared to previous architectures, SB is incredibly easy to overclock. Is it unstable? Increase the voltage. Is it stable? Increase the multi. No FSB/memory to worry about when overclocking the processor.

At 3.4 GHz, I got it down to 1.050v with no issue, 1v threw issues almost immediately.

At 4.1 GHz, I had issues running 1.150v, but I didn't have time to bump the voltages up, so I lowered the multi for the night. I'm not seeing 60c load yet and I'm running two Panaflo 38mm thick fans at a very low voltage.

I found out that Home Premium 7 is limited to 16 GB (hello artificial limitation!), so I'll work on Linux once I get this thing at a stable 24/7 overclock.

Hmmmm, that's why I always buy the Professional versions of Windows. No limitations and they don't include the rest of the garbage which I never use. Thinking I'll definitely go to Windows 8 once released. Performance is significantly better than Windows 7 and I'm finding Metro to be less annoying after using it two weeks on my old notebook. The performance boost is worth it.

The reason I got Home Premium was because the three pack was cheaper than one copy of an upgrade version of Professional. At the time, it was not easy to hit the memory limitations on the OS.

Either way, I'll never use that much memory in Windows, so I'm not really worried about it. I just find it funny that Microsoft feels the need to limit their versions in really stupid ways.

It is Microsoft. They're great at doing stupid things. You'd think that the inability to connect their home versions to a domain would be a great enough limitation wouldn't you? The limitation was first introduced with Windows XP. Adding a memory limitation is especially retarded.

Working on the overclock again. I'm currently testing 4.4 GHz @ 1.25v. Sitting at max temps of 55, 63, 63, 60 with my Panaflos still on silent. This thing overclocks better than the e8500 and runs way cooler.

Well, this is an interesting stability issue. I was running 4.7 GHz @ 1.325v under LinX for 20+ minutes, working great. The second I hit "stop", it hard locks. So, I try it again by letting it go through one iteration (~4 minutes) and hit stop, same thing. Why is it crashing going from full load to idle? I currently have LLC set to "extreme" and voltage does not move at all. The odd part is that it doesn't have an issue between tests, where load drops to near-idle conditions.

Not sure if I want to go for more. I feel the temperatures are within spec and voltages are low, but I just don't need that much processing power.

4800_2500k.png

Well, I had to listen to Moocow. My chip is very likely dead. I was testing out 55+ multis and something was mentioned about "anything under 2.0v is ok for air". I took this literally. I got it to POST at 56x with 1.8v. I figured "Hey why not, let's go one more". I couldn't get 57 to post, so I bumped it to 1.9v. Bam, dead chip.

Time to order a new one. Hope it is as good as this one was.

Damn. I'm always extremely conservative with overclocks myself. Want my chips to last a few years generally. Too expensive not to.

I'm not too worried if something explodes. I actually think it was kind of funny. :shrug:

Lol, sounds like you've a bit more $ to throw at it than me.... I wish I had that problem, then I'd go with a custom loop. Would be fun. ;)

I ended up ordering a 3570k because Moocow talked me into it and someone has really good timing in the classifieds. It got posted about 30 minutes after my chip died.

:3

3570k_stock.png

First thing to do, put 1.9v through it to see if it is tougher than my previous processor.

It looks like my 24/7 overclock will be 4.6 GHz at 1.296v. I haven't been doing a lot of stability testing though, so the voltage may slightly change. Using LinX to push temps, I'm seeing 81c peak under a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme with two 38mm thick Panaflo fans severely undervolted.

The 1.9v thing was a joke guys.

Back