• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help to color match my build with ASUS VII Hero mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scibuff

Registered
Hi there,

I'm building a brand new rig and I'm pretty much set on the ASUS Vii Hero motherboard but I don't really like going completely red for everything else, especially considering my peripherals are Razer green.
I'd like to ask for help trying to color/theme coordinate the components. Here is what I've picked up on my own

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
RAM: Crucial 16GB KIT DDR3 1600MHz CL8 Ballistix Tactical LP
Mobo: ASUS Maximusi Vii Hero
GPU: GTX 980 (or 970 or 780 ti)
PSU: Corsair AX 860 (bought)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 white (bought)
SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB
HDD: 2x Western Digital Green 4000GB 64MB cache (will be using the Switch hot-swappable hdd bay for these)
Keyboard: Razer Deathstalker
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder (green)

Cooling:
- CPU: XSPC RayStorm Intel CPU Waterblock
- GPU: based on the selected GPU (either XPSC or EK)
- Res: D5 Photon 170
- Pump: D5 Vario
- XSPC RX360 + XSPC RX240 rads

I'm thinking I have these options:

(1) stick with red, which I'm not to psyched about; it just isn't "my color"
(2) mix red with some sort of metallic blue/purple like so >> https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/gaming-thread.101120/
(3) mix red with blue, just like the default XSPC LEDs that come with their all-in-one kits
(4) go green nevertheless

Here are some thoughts:

- The RAM I like because of the C8 latency and 1.35V but I know it makes very little difference so I could go with something like this Avexir Venom Series for (4)

- Some options for the mobo would be ASUS Sabertooth z97 Mark 1 / GIGABYTE Z97X-UD5H-BK / MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC
- I know Sabertooth supports RAM only up to 1866 MHz but I don't plan to OC RAM. Mark 1 is actually 222 EUR vs 180 EUR for the Hero in my local store. The Gigabyte/MSI boards seem they would fit much better with a build in green colors but I'm just not that keen on those manufactures. All of these have Realtek ALC1150 vs SupremeFX on Hero.
- Also, I'm looking at the UD5H specs right and I'm not sure if SLI would be a x8/x8 ?!

Or, am I way too overthinking this and I should just go with whatever components and colors I like and not worry too much about the rest?

Thank you

Any Z97 board will support whatever RAM your chip's IMC is up to controlling. No reason not to go at least 2133Mhz Cas9. Not much more expensive and Haswell scales well with faster RAM.
Why don't you make everything red and black? Even pick up the red cable kit for your power supply from corsair. Red tubing too. Red and black works very well and looks very good. If red isn't your color you shouldn't pick a red board to begin with IMO.

Back