• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help Unlocking Phenom II X4 960T on ASUS M5A78L

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
When do you get the blue screen? During the Prime95 stress test or at other times? If you get the blue screen during the Prime95 stress test that most likely means your overclock settings are not right yet. There are other reasons a blue screen can happen like viruses or corrupted operating system files or bad drivers or even bad hardware. But when this only happens when you are overclocking it most likely is the overclock settings not being right.

Did you disable Advanced Clock Calibration yet. I would appreciate it if you would be more consistent in reporting back about making suggested changes.

Dear TRend How are you hop all is well

Sorry for the late reply i was very very Busy today at work normally i should be able to check back with you but if i dont this means i am tied-up some where , and please dont forget the time difference between us :D

So last Night i did a few searches on google about the Blue screen physical memory dump 90% of the feed back that i got was corrupted drives , and this is very similar to my situation. I have reasuntly Bought a usb 3.0 PCIe and a 4 port usb 2.0 , For some add reason my computer wont recognize them although i have downloaded the drivers from the website , If i think clearly i would say i never had this Blue screen in the past but this has been going on ever since i installed the USB 3.0 PCIe .

Not yes i have disabled ACC :D

I am trying to remember your Questions Oh yes no i never get a blue screen during Prime95 never :)..

My assumption and this is only me talking ( the Newbi ) :) anything above 3.91 it looks like the PC freezes or i should say it looks like if you are playing a Game and your video card is dragging I hop i have explained this in the right way :) this happens when i open Opera and opera loads 4 or 5 taps i noticed it more this way , But 3.91 and below never get the blue screen and pc runs smooth.

I would also like to mention to you that i have Acronis always running in the Background i am using this nonstop back up maybe this is it not sure as i said this is only me talking ..

So here is what i would Like to do today since i am off work now :D

I will take both the usb 3.0 and the usb 2.0 hardware out , Put the CPu/HT back to 243 and run a prime teast for 1 hour and see how this goes , then i will update you on the results asap when prime is don ..

The other thing that i keep thinking about is the Blue screen keeps saying memory dump so My dear friend can it be the memory over voltage ??? should i rains it a little bit more ????

Because i have ran the memteast86 and my memory is super .

So this is where i stand right now I hop i covered as much as possible and please forgive me , you have mentioned sometimes it is hard for you to understand me English is my second Language :D

talk to u in a Little Bit :bday:

Ok have some good News i think we are getting there Trend i think we are there

I did a Few changes to our calculations , Took both hardware out and ran Prime95 for 1 hour and 25 minutes and i am still on the internet and using it compleatly normall no Blue screen yet and we ar at 4.009 ghz :clap:

I will Post prime Pic's and then reboot got to BIOS and show you what numbers i have changed :D

I would Also Like to play a little game for 20 minutes to see how this runs :D

dnvu.jpg

uq9g.jpg

htoy.jpg

That all looks very good. Are you still getting blue screens? If you suspect the memory is overvolted then change it from 1.55 t0 1.525 volts.

Also, you can make fine adjustments to the CPU overclock using a combination of the multiplier and the FSB, raising or lowering either or both as necessary.

4.0 ghz is in the max overclock range for that CPU with air cooling. Some individual 960Ts might go higher and some might not go quite to 4.0. Each one is different coming from the factory.

Hello Trend i am hapy you are here now NO blue screen ever since i took the usb 3.0 out and i am purposely searching the INTERNET left and right to see the Blue screen when is it going to Hit :) but we are good so far No blue secreen and no slow downs

i would Like to know after i Post the Bios PIC what are my Limites on these numbers and witch one;s i can play with and witch one's i should Leave alone ..

But the computer is running smooth , Did you also see then i went from 17X to 16.5X

i will post BIOS Picture will be back

You are the best 4.009 is wonderful for me all credits go to you Trend :) :)

Ok so here you can see in the first 2 Pictures what changes i have mad ,

Please point out witch one's of these options that i can go high on a Little more if i neded to and what is the Limite on it

In the third Pic you see that i have Disabled ACC :D

Thanks Trend

wmyu.jpg

gqyc.jpg

rj4i.jpg

Awating your answer as always

Greetings we mad it :clap::attn:

If you are stable at these settings I would stop where you are. All the numbers in the bios are hovering around what I would consider the max, especially your memory frequency. If you increase the FSB anymore I'm afraid you will overextend the memory. There might be room for one more .5x multiplier increase in the CPU but that might require additional voltage.

As far as the "stuttering" you described in post #202 when you play games, that is probably due to the inadequacy of your video card rather than the CPU not being able to keep up. A GT 630 video card is not very powerful. It would not be good for modern games. You should look into getting a GTX 660.

Last edited:
Ok Trend i still have the memory over voltage still at 1.43 and it looks Like we are stable I think we are good i will keep teasting but in the mean time we Both and Specially you should take creadite we are siting on 4.009 WOW

TRend the new master of tweaking :clap::clap::clap:

:bday:

So next project Trend hhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It is set My wife ( and she volunteered on her own ) to buy me the Power supply and a New case for my Birthday :clap::clap:

So i am debating in between these 2 cases

1 this one i like very much

http://www.atelco.de/Midi/Thermalta...rmaltake+Armor+Revo+Gene+Snow+Edition.article

2 this one was my first choice

http://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/34-phantom

I would Like to know your opinion on the case and also what power supply do you recommend and how much watt ??

I have been searching on line and found a very nice big List of PSU but a Little Confused

Trend it is all Peanuts from hear on :bday::bday:

Isn't 1.43 actually under voltage instead of overvoltage? The stock voltage is 1.5. Overvoltage would be more than that. Oh well, if it's stable, leave it alone.

I like the NZXT Phantom the best of those two. Looks like it has provision for more fans and better ventilation.

Firas I saw where you wrote that you were having BSODs and that something was said about a "memory dump".
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315263/EN-US
This step-by-step article describes how to examine a small memory dump file. A small memory dump file can help you determine why your computer crashed.

I think you thought memory dump meant something was wrong with the memory. Memory dump is Windows 'saving' a file called a memory dump that within the file is saved items that are likely contributing to the BSOD error. Memory dump is not saying there is a memory problem specifically. Memory dumps are files that point to issues causing BSODs.
RGone...ster.

Thanks, RGone. I was meaning to tell him that but kept getting derailed by other fires that needed to be put out in this thread, if you know what I mean.

Firas, every blue screen results in a memory dump, regardless of what causes it. A text file is created when this happens that can be retrieved and that may give clues to what caused it. Often, however, the text files contain info that is too generic to be of much help.

Last edited:
Hello and good day

thank you Both and yes you are right I did think this way , I would Like to mention that every thing is stable I am using a Different HDD with the same O7 64 but this version is more stable and up to date and I am testing back and forth , it Looks Like I need a fresh install on the other HDD ,, and this may sound very very Silly but there is something that triggers the Blue screen on the other HDD every time I use Opera , I know you might say what is the connection and I wonder too But I have tested this many times .

So I wel keep working on this new HDD and do a Fresh install on the Other HDD will Update when something Strikes ( I hop not :) )

and this is my PSU 8 years OLD :)

I know that RGone asked to know what kind

tdcm.jpg

as far as the PSU I can use both of your help because there is so many options , and don't know exactly how much watt is enough for me I am thinking a 750w 80+ GOLD will do . Does this sound right ??

Thank you

iras

Power supply with these specs would not be one I would have in my later model setup. It is likely only working okay now because there are few HDDs and a video card that does not need so much power. Minimum fans in the case are likely helping get by just now. The power supply is surely old tech and not designed as the newer ones are for the +12V rail to do most of the work.

AP-550x power supply

ATXPOW500DF Startech

InPut Voltage: Use world wide
115-230VAC ~ 50/60Hz. 10A-5.5A
OutPut Votage:
SFC Ver 1.2 FM S FC
+12v === 26A
-12v === 1A
+5v === 45A
+5vsb === 2.5A
-5V === 0.5A
+3.3v === 30A - See more at:

RGone i agree to what you say therefore could you recommend something for me

because there is so many options , I only kept this one because it is working and its filling in the need , But Now i relies i am due for a New one :)

thank you

I might pick a supply that is not available overseas as you are from me. Where do you buy from over there?

Heck just go to johnnygurus website about power supplies and get one in the 650 to 700 watt range that he says is classA and is available to you at a price you can afford. Of course that power range is considering that you will upate the video card and need the exrtra kick in reserve for a bigger single video card.
RGone...ster.

I am reading this post Recommended PSU's
Here on our Site and it is very very Helpful the only thing i was stuck on is the watt

so u think a 750 is enough for me ??

So far it looks like this keeps popping up in my face :)

PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III 750W PSU Review

I am reading this post Recommended PSU's
Here on our Site and it is very very Helpful the only thing i was stuck on is the watt

so u think a 750 is enough for me ??

So far it looks like this keeps popping up in my face :)

PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III 750W PSU Review
Very good PSU. You'll be happy with that. :)

Good Deal Thank you Mr scott

By the way we mad it 4.009 and running smooth smooth smooth :) all thanks to Trend

i did manage to get 4.215 But this Blue screen was all ways giving me hell

many thanks MR .Scott

Back