• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help wanted on 12V query

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.


Oct 12, 2002
Want to try Car type gadgety thing in computer. I believe the Molex connection is 12V and the thing (light as it hap'ns) is 12V BUT
Obviously the connections on the light are just 2 plain wires and I have no idea where to connect them in to the Molex...

Anyone able to help ?


Underwater Senior Member
Nov 29, 2001
Just to be clear, the molex connector is the power plug for harddrives and CD's.
Use the yellow wire for +12 volts(gadget red wire), and either one of the black wires for - ground (gadget black wire).

I also wanted to recap the usual psu warning, DO NOT draw more amperage than the power supply is capable of. I've seen guys do cigarette lighters, but I would expect this to be the limit of what it can give in amperage. Your light should be okay.
Big Tip, if your computer reboots when you turn on your gadget, then it's too much.

Be safe, have fun!