• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP! Which one which one?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shilo

Registered
I finally have enough $$$ to build my server I am going the AMD route and I would like to order it in the next couple of days, but which Mboard ? Abit, Asus, MSI, I am looking at the Asus A7M266-D, but I will need raid eventully not sure if I can just buy a card, but any help would be appericated.:rolleyes:

Spec_Ops2087

MSI is by far the most user friendly and is the best Overclocker but do remember it is not the most stable...the tyan is the most stable....But I do vote for the MSI

Spec

diehrd

Senior SMP Gawd
I would suggest the Tyan board IF YOU plan not to over clock it.I suggest this because the Tyan is stable as a stone and the S2460 can be bought for $100.00 or less if you shop around for it.

If you want a tweakable board MSI all the way.........

OP
shilo

shilo

Registered
MSI KD7 ???

I went to newegg and they say that the kd7 only supports up to a mp2000, but at the MSI website they say " supports up to a mp2100+ or higher" so who is right?

shilo

Mr B

Senior Admin Emeritus
Re: MSI KD7 ???

shilo said:
I went to newegg and they say that the kd7 only supports up to a mp2000, but at the MSI website they say " supports up to a mp2100+ or higher" so who is right?

shilo

I've got a pair of XP1600+'s on mine, unlocked, and running a 12.5 x multi. the FSB is bumped to 140, giving me 1750 each.

The BIOS now calls/recognizes them as MP 2100+'s.

MSI would be right....;)

OP
shilo

shilo

Registered
Re: Re: MSI KD7 ???

Mr B said:

I've got a pair of XP1600+'s on mine, unlocked, and running a 12.5 x multi. the FSB is bumped to 140, giving me 1750 each.

The BIOS now calls/recognizes them as MP 2100+'s.

MSI would be right....;)

SO would you recommend the MSI as well? This will be a commercial server for my business and I just wan to be sure it is stable.

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
I would recommend the MSI board over any other, period.

Tyan boards may be stable, but they are not particularly tweakable or fast. MSI makes a very good board with good tech support, BIOS updates, and drivers.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
You want the most stable board.

You don't want to overclock.

If the MSI can overclock, it has to be very stable when running at stock fsb.

Tyan is about a C note cheaper and also very stable at stock fsb.

Your call...

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
Tyan has no tweaks at all, not even basic memory tweaks and their tech support is awful. I bought one of those refurbished Tyan 2460's from Newegg. It took over a month to get a working system from the time I first received it. I had to send it to Tyan TWICE. Yes, TWICE, the same motherboard. They spent 3 weeks not fixing it, then sent it back to me still broken. I had to pay out of my pocket to RMA it, twice. I had to wait for them to ship me a replacement, twice. I had to deal with their lying tech support, which does not include one English-speaking person, twice. Personally, I will never purchase another Tyan product of any kind, for any price.

Your call...

Henry Rollins II

My retailer lists returns percentage for each item on their website. Intresting reading actually, it should say at least something about quality.

Gigabyte, Microstar and Soltek has return percentage of 0.7-2.4%, whereas Abit, Asus, Soyo has 2.0->5.0%. All Epox AMD boards has more than 5%. (but their socket478 boards all have less than 1,5%)

Products with VIA chipsets has more returns than those with AMD chipsets. P4 and AMD boards has about the same level of returns. FCPGA motherboards has a lot lower return numbers. Boards with faster ram(DDR,RDRAM) is returned more often than those with PC133.

NeoN068

Spec_Ops2087 said:
MSI is by far the most user friendly and is the best Overclocker but do remember it is not the most stable...the tyan is the most stable....But I do vote for the MSI

Spec

Tyan=poop!!!!!!! My freind has a Tyan dual and it's crap in my pants!

OP
shilo

shilo

Registered
Henry Rollins II said:
My retailer lists returns percentage for each item on their website. Intresting reading actually, it should say at least something about quality.

Gigabyte, Microstar and Soltek has return percentage of 0.7-2.4%, whereas Abit, Asus, Soyo has 2.0->5.0%. All Epox AMD boards has more than 5%. (but their socket478 boards all have less than 1,5%)

Products with VIA chipsets has more returns than those with AMD chipsets. P4 and AMD boards has about the same level of returns. FCPGA motherboards has a lot lower return numbers. Boards with faster ram(DDR,RDRAM) is returned more often than those with PC133.

hmmm....interesting stats i Guess what some of my concern with MSI is their warranty can't find one?

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
Hmmm. Check around in the MSI motherboard forum and see if someone knows what the standard MSI warranty period is. I'm sure you will ifnd people who know, over there. I often read excerpts of people saying that they sent off an RMA to MSI, so you can find real-world MSI RMA experience over there.