• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP Win2K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

badgers

I get the attached error every time I boot.
I have booted 4 times and not changed anything.
anyone know what is going on here?

http://webpages.charter.net/pali/Error.bmp

hope the link looks better
Error.bmp

Last edited:
If you haven't already, you may want to try disabling "Plug and Play OS" in the BIOS (if the option is available for editing). ;)

I thought you should have it enabled.

If I disable it now should I reinstall Win2K?
Thanks for the quick answer.
The pic looks bad because I just finished reinstalling the OS.

I have been having file corruption errors on this WD1200JB drive.

I downloaded the Western Digital diagnostic disk. It ran for an hour and no errors.

It is an Epox 8K3A+ with an unlocked AROIA xp1600.
I had the WD1200JB behind the highpoint at first. After my first error I moved it to the on board IDE channel.
Someone told me the IDE channels were connected through the V-Link bus and not the PCI bus, I am hoping to avoid the PCI bus problem.

thank you for your quick help.

Right now I am running chkdsk on the drive, it is taking a lifetime.
How do I make sure that the OS is using UDMA100?
I also have a DVD drive that only takes UDMA33.
I put it on with the hard drive because I wanted my burner to have a dedicated channel. The only time I use the DVD is when hard drive performance won't matter. Burning cd to cd or playing a DVD.
thanks again

Plug and Play OS refers to the plug and play enumeration system as employed by Win95/98 for a PNP BIOS or APM BIOS...it's a Legacy mechanism and has no support other than in these two OS's. Modern OS's (like Win98/Me/2000/XP) that use an ACPI BIOS..."Advanced Configuration Power Interface" to configure MB devices and retrieve system information, don't rely on the Plug and Play BIOS option. You should be able to disable the option without having to reinstall W2K.

The following MSKB article explains it in detail...

INFO: Setting the Plug and Play BIOS Option (PNP OS) in CMOS Setup ;)

Last edited:
thanks
I am reformatting right now.
every time I try to enable DMA it fails.

I switched IDE channels and am trying again.

this last time I did disable the PNP OS and it rebooted. but the DMA mode was set to PIO in win2k.

I don't know if the drive is bad or the motherboard.

the DVD on the same channel indicated that it was using DMA

kind of strange.

I am going to get a second drive and test if it works on this mother board.

The drive was bad. I swapped a 120GXP in place of the WD1200JB and the GXP is working great. 25Meg/sec in sandra and no errors in the system log.
The WD drive was getting CRC errors from the drive and Win2K was disabling DMA.
WD was great and gave me an RMA without any hassle and maybe 15 min total on the phone.
Thanks for the help

Back