• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with choosing good parts for a new PC 1st time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bamaboy

1 GENERIC 8" 4-Pin Power Cable Splitter Model 11W3-01208 - OEM

$5.19 -$5.19 Sale $0.00
CD/DVD Burners (RW Drives)

BenQ Black ATA/ATAPI DVD Burner With LightScribe Model DW1655 -
$58.99 -$5.00 Instant
$53.99
ATX Computer Cases

RAIDMAX ATX-901WB Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

$100.99 $100.99
Floppy Drives

SAMSUNG Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Windows 98SE/ ME/ 2000/ XP - OEM

$9.45 $9.45
Internal Hard Drives

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
$110.00 -$5.00 Instant
$105.00
Video Devices & TV Tuners

SAPPHIRE Theater 550 PRO PCI Interface TV Tuner Card - Retail

$79.00 $79.00
Video Cards

XFX PVT42GUAD7 Geforce 6800GS 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

$199.00 $199.00
CD/DVD ROM Drives

ASUS Black ATAPI DVD-ROM Drive Model E616A - OEM

$22.99 $22.99
Power Supplies

ASPIRE ATX-AS520W BLACK ATX 520W Power Supply - Retail

$10.00 Mail-in Rebate

$58.99 $58.99
Memory - System
Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

Update
Patriot Signature Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model PSD21G667K -

$15.00 Mail-in Rebate

$97.99 $97.99
Intel-compatible Motherboards

ASUS P5LD2 Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 945P ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

$119.00 $119.00
Processors

Intel Pentium D 920 Presler 800MHz FSB LGA 775 Dual Core Processor
$268.00 $268.00

Operating Systems

Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 w/Update Rollup Release 2 OEM 1 Pack - OEM

$129.95 $129.95
Security / Utilities Software

Symantec Norton Internet Security 2006 - OEM

$24.99 $24.99
Combo

Thermaltake A2018 120mm 1 Ball 1 Sleeve Blue LED Light Case Cooling Fan - Retail

$17.99 -$5.00 Combo
$12.99

Subtotal: $1,282.33

Shipping: $74.47

Total: $1,356.80

any idea on what to change, nothing that cost anymore money please, and i want intel
things i will change video card, tv tuner, ram, hard drive, dvd drives,PSU's stuff like this

Windows Media Center edition, who has used it and do all the functions work properly on it and is it easy to install because ive been hearing mixed things, i heard you need certain stuff for it to work and blah blah

is this 6800gs a good one its is overclocked form the factory

i dont know what is a good tv tuner but this one was fairly cheap and ATI makes good cards, if i figure out if MCE is a good OS i want the one i ahve but ive heard the software sucks on it if you dont have MCE to us their software

is everything compatible and will work good?

What is this computer going to be used for. Also, since you're on an overclocking forum, I suggest not getting an intel mobo as their overclocking abilities are limited (nonexistant).

I would get a better powersupply, ocz 520w powerstream, or fortron 550w plg because aspire is pretty terrible and pentiums are pretty power hungry.

Also, don't use norton, it's quite bloated and isn't as good as other virus software. http://www.overclockers.com/articles1260/ Here is a good article to compare virus software.

If you're gaming, then definately drop to a lower processor, a single core and use the extra money and try to get a 7800gt. It will vastly improve your gaming experience.

One place to cut money would be the case. $100 is too much imo for your sort of budget.

Dont' discount AMD immediately, they're just as quality as Intel and AMD benches better for games, runs cooler and requires less power (slightly more inexpensive powersupply) and is generally considered more for your money than Intel. However, since you asked I supplied suggestions for your intel rig in the making.

thanks, but i want a case that i like and i liked the looks of this one

i cant really find anything i can cut back on besides the case and it wont save much

i think that power supply will do good for what i need because i wont be overclocking much, its not my main goal, i just want a fast computer that will multitask good and play games everynow and then

Consider if you really need a floppy drive. My last several builds did not have one and it is not missed. You can get a DVD burner which is much more useful than the player.

You don't need DDR2 PC5300 RAM if you are not overclocking.

If you get a seperate TV tuner then go with a Hauppauge PVR-150

I second the pass on Norton/Symantec. You can get all free stuff online that works just as well or better. I use AVG antivirus, microsoft antispyware, windows firewall and feel pretty safe behind a router.

bamaboy said:
thanks, but i want a case that i like and i liked the looks of this one

i cant really find anything i can cut back on besides the case and it wont save much

i think that power supply will do good for what i need because i wont be overclocking much, its not my main goal, i just want a fast computer that will multitask good and play games everynow and then

Unfortunately, that powersupply would probably have trouble running your system in the first place. Aspire is among the lower end of power supplies and they have killed a few rigs i'm sure. Although, I don't really have a cheaper suggestion, Oklahoma Wolf does here. http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=4250583&postcount=2

Last edited:
don't wait for the AM2 if your on a tight budget, the MB's and chips aren't gonna be cheap (not gonna overly expensive, but not cheap)

I would suggest either a normal p4 or an AMD X2. Intels pentium D is not good for dual core. It's complex, but basicly it has problems interfacing with the memory quickly (not stability wise, just speed wise). Intel is working on a newer design (don't wait for it) but that should be better.

If your stuck on intel, I recommend single core, if your willing to switch, you can get a X2 retail for 300, and a motherboard for 90, for RAM just get some
PC3200 value and you can get that for 70 bucks 2x512 and that'll even out the added cost of the X2.

Other components look good, I'm not sure on the tuner, I used to recommend the leadtek delux but I think they stopped making it. Do a search for it and if you find it, it's a great card for only 50 bucks (comes with remote and ahs good picture quality.

Back