• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with core i7 4790k overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

angel7senshi

Hi, I'm Danilo from Brazil, I have a ROG Maximus VII Ranger and a Delidded Core i7 4790k with H80i v2 and I trying to stabilizing my overclock for 4,7ghz clock and 4,4ghz cache but for some reason I can't get pass in my final test, my final test is pass without error in a 24hrs test of OCCT test with adaptive voltage and I'm trying it for days because I really wish a very stable machine.
Yeasterday with vcore: 1.271 (adaptive -), LLC: 9, VRIN: auto, Vring: auto. I get a Blue screen with 23h49min test :mad:, o god, can u imagine my frustation? :(
So I'm trying increase vcore by 0,001v (1.272) and I have a Blue screen after 2hrs of test, I don't know why I pass 23h49min with less vcore but is ok. So I increase vcore by 0,001v again, now with 1.273v vcore and restart the test and after 8hrs I have a total freeze :(
Now my vcore is in 1.274v and is in testing now but I don't kwow with I fail in something could you help me? I don't have much experience with Haswell, my machine pass in other tests with less vcore: 8h RealBench, 8h linpak, 24h AIDA, 24h Intel Xtreme Test, 24h Prime95 v2.6 but I can't pass 24h OCCT test :(
I pass too in the prime95 with AVX for 2hrs but I cancel The test because temps reach 100°C and I fear tosted my chip.
Other tests don't reach more than 80°C except the linpak test that reach 85°C but is the Maximus temp I have
What's wrong? I need more vcore or am I missing something?

So, is it stable for how you actually use the machine or are you just trying to pass a random test and be stable.

What are you doing with it that you need to be 24 hour [any stress test] stable... and that you test so many other stress tests???

I feel like unless you are actually having issues using the PC, you are chasing after a unicorn...

So, is it stable for how you actually use the machine or are you just trying to pass a random test and be stable.

What are you doing with it that you need to be 24 hour [any stress test] stable... and that you test so many other stress tests???

I feel like unless you are actually having issues using the PC, you are chasing after a unicorn...

Is it because everytime I overclock some PC I utilize 24hs test on Prime95 to make sure The machine is 100% stable and Rock Solid, I read it in the stress.txt of Prime95 that 24hs test is The final test to make sure the PC is 100% stable, but I don't fell confortable with temps Prime95 reach and I know Haswell has this problem with Prime95 because AVX and HT, so I found OCCT with a similar test for Avx2 and is because of it I wish pass 24hrs in this test, my wish is found The Rock solid configs for 4,7ghz to make sure is 100% stable whatever I can do, not Just in games

Angel, at this point, I would just use your computer and enjoy it. With all the testing you've done outside of this, I would have to imagine that you can use it gaming and "whatever I can do" without issue. Try it instead of chasing this magic value of passing for 24 hours they list. You aren't crunching critical data for anyone or anything right? Just use it. :)

Outside of that, the reasons for your failure... no idea. Did you try adding more Vcore than what you listed to see if that works?

Last edited:
If you increased the vcore and you failed the test in less time than before it's probably because raising the voltage increased the temp. My guess would be that you are hitting a temp wall. You say that when you run Prime95 with AVX you rach 100c after a couple of hours. You did not say what temps OCCT was producing. In my experience OCCT and Prime95 give about the same temps.

I agree with EarthDog. You need to relax. You are being OCD about this self-imposed stress testing standard. It is serving no real purpose.

Back