• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB DDR4 4600MHz C19

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Maybe source your sources so we can all check it out. ;)

I believe Zen2 base support is 3200. I also believe there is more headroom than Zen/Zen+ which there was nearly none (its spec was 2933 and could barely get over mid 3K). Just because a board says it supports 5K memory speeds, doesn't mean the CPU or sticks can reach it.

Yeah, I highly doubt a 3950x would be able to do 5 GHz all c/t on air. Likely a couple... but not all.

Hey EarthDog,

Have a weird question (sorry if it sounds stupid) but, are there differences between RAM modules? Like.. I tweak my own modules, they run good happy with it BUT the other day , did clean my computer and remove them and add them back but in different order than initially which resulted in errors during some tests...
I changed them back and now everything works fine...

Care to explain this phenomenon? Are they supposed to go each on a specific lane or how come one way works and the other , gives errors... I am confused :D

Well, it seems I am not done with the RAM :), still tweaked it here and there and ended up running them at: 17-20-20-29 / 4400Mhz

I have then run this "benchmark" thingy called User Benchmark and got this results... anyone experienced that could share some thoughts on this?

RAM User Bench Score.jpg

Last edited:
ASRock Z390 ITX/PG has a hard wall at 4500 or simply hated all my memory kits (and I tested maybe 7 of which all could at least boot at 4700 on other board). All of them were working fine at 4500 but no boot at even 4533.
ASUS Z390I Strix should run higher than 4600 but again, most motherboards can't boot above 4500 for some reason. MSI needed BIOS improvements to pass this clock. I'm personally using ASUS MXIG as it works up to 4800+ out of the box.
Going back to your board. It should run at 4600 with Corsair memory but on the QVL there is 19-26-26 and 1.40V or 1.50V. If you can make it run stable at 4500 then just work on the timings. Tighter timings will give you more than a bit higher clock. You can also check if you have option trace centering or something similar in BIOS. I have it in Maximus but I don't know if BIOS for Strix has it. It helps to improve signals.
Another thing is the IMC. My 9900K hated anything above 4500 on ambient temps to the point that I had to set 1.45V SA or cool it down below 20°C to keep it stable (dry ice and other things for benching). All my CPUs were running between 4400 and 4800 on ambient temps while the worst were 9700K/9900K ... maybe my luck.

If you can make this memory run at 4500 19-19-19 1.40V stable then switching to something else won't help you (or not much). You could however save a lot of money buying 4000 CL18/19 or 3600 CL16 kit and overclock it to 4400-4500. Now I guess it's too late for that.

Typical VCCSA for 4500-4600 is 1.35V, typical VCCIO is 1.30V. Max which motherboards are auto-adjusting is about 1.4V and I would stick to that for 24/7 work.

From easy to OC memory kits in good price are HyperX Predator and Predator RGB 4000 CL19. You can of course get some Trident Z / RGB / Royals if you like G.Skill. On the other hand, I'm not sure if selling your current kit and buying a new one will give a high enough price difference to be worth the time spent on the sale. I don't know how much does it cost in store and on the 2nd hand market.

Hey Woomack,

I just got Maximus XI Gene, and tried to run on the XMP2 profile of my Corsaire 4600mhz DDR4...and I have the same issue... doesn't want to boot.

Was wondering if you have some tips / advice for running it at 4600mhz, or maybe you have a clue , why is it not working?
Could be my i9 9900k? most probably as this is a different board, on which i cannot go higher than 4500mhz...:(

Should I do a Bios update or it should work out of the box?Are there any settings I should do before overclocking?

looking forward to your reply.

thanks

Last edited:
It can be IMC. My 9900K was hitting a wall on ambient temps at about 4500. At the same voltages, 9700K couldn't pass 4400 stable while 8086K was going up to 4700+. MXIG usually shows when it's IMC and when memory like error codes but also automatic settings when any higher clock fails.

You can check maximus tweak 1 and 2. Also, try to disable XMP and run 4600 and all timings at auto + 1.40-1.50V. If you make it boot then just try tightening the timings. XMP can be wrong or just IMC can't make it.

What error codes do you get when it can't boot at 4600? When there is mem ok enabled (or whatever it's called to help memory booting) then the motherboard forces to boot at any other clock or simply back to SPD/2133 or 2400 clock? Usually when IMC can't make it then the motherboard is trying lower clocks and boots at something like 4533 or 4400.

Try VCCSA up to 1.4V.

IMC errors are 2x-3x, usually 23. Memory errors are 5x, usually 55.

It can be IMC. My 9900K was hitting a wall on ambient temps at about 4500. At the same voltages, 9700K couldn't pass 4400 stable while 8086K was going up to 4700+. MXIG usually shows when it's IMC and when memory like error codes but also automatic settings when any higher clock fails.

You can check maximus tweak 1 and 2. Also, try to disable XMP and run 4600 and all timings at auto + 1.40-1.50V. If you make it boot then just try tightening the timings. XMP can be wrong or just IMC can't make it.

What error codes do you get when it can't boot at 4600? When there is mem ok enabled (or whatever it's called to help memory booting) then the motherboard forces to boot at any other clock or simply back to SPD/2133 or 2400 clock? Usually when IMC can't make it then the motherboard is trying lower clocks and boots at something like 4533 or 4400.

Try VCCSA up to 1.4V.

IMC errors are 2x-3x, usually 23. Memory errors are 5x, usually 55.

Wow :) you are so EXACT!

yeah , it is IMC - i get the 23 error, the max I can go is 4500mhz with 1.45v and VCCIO/VCCSA - 1.4v / or at least these are the settings the motherboard sets for that frequency.

Thanks a lot for the reply, I got it to test if it is my CPU or the motherboard. SO I will return it and continue with my Z390-I ITX which I think it run pretty decent so far, got 4400mhz good timings and a latency after hours of tweaking of 37 ns...pretty decent.

Thanks a lot!

Looking forward to Ryzen 9... but in terms of memory we might be a bit disappointed will have to see how things look once the reviews drop.

Are you covering anything on Ryzen 9 or planning to?

Usually, 4400-4500 can run at tighter timings and offer higher performance than 4600+. I guess you are more than fine with a lower clock at manual settings.

There is nothing expected from OCF side. I'm on the list for some ASRock samples but I can't guarantee I will publish anything here. Maybe will be something with memory tests or comparison in memory section but I'm not sure yet. Point is that most what you see in my memory tests threads/reviews was covered from my pocket and without additional support I just can't keep doing that anymore.

Usually, 4400-4500 can run at tighter timings and offer higher performance than 4600+. I guess you are more than fine with a lower clock at manual settings.

There is nothing expected from OCF side. I'm on the list for some ASRock samples but I can't guarantee I will publish anything here. Maybe will be something with memory tests or comparison in memory section but I'm not sure yet. Point is that most what you see in my memory tests threads/reviews was covered from my pocket and without additional support I just can't keep doing that anymore.

I understand, well we all really appreciate your work. You should receive more samples from various vendors just so you can test their product. On the memory side there are not "many" people providing useful information.

Hi I had similar issue with my system apart from I have the Asus Apex Xi. I managed to narrow the issue down with mine by turning the ASUS Aura feature turned off in the bios.

So load optimized defaults, turn AURA to off by pressing F4 in bios and then I turned xmp2 on and keep your CPU stock. I ran IntelBurntest and it past with ease.

Hope this put closure on the issue if you're still trying to achieve 4600mhz.

Hi I had similar issue with my system apart from I have the Asus Apex Xi. I managed to narrow the issue down with mine by turning the ASUS Aura feature turned off in the bios.

So load optimized defaults, turn AURA to off by pressing F4 in bios and then I turned xmp2 on and keep your CPU stock. I ran IntelBurntest and it past with ease.

Hope this put closure on the issue if you're still trying to achieve 4600mhz.

Thanks for the info provided. But that was limited by my CPU IMC unfortunately, although I could agree with your that Aura and all other RGB software direct affects the performance of your CPU/ system.

Did you try everything at absoulute stock and then just turn aura off and apply xmp? I thought my IMC was at fault till I realised RGB was responsible lol

Damn... why did you get that RAM in the first place? It really yields no gains and only helps to suck the money out of the wallet.

Anyhoo, What is it setting for System Agent voltage at 45/4600? DRAM voltage?

Much over 4000 and you are relying on a good board and a good IMC on the CPU to run those speeds. Your CPU just might not be up to it without some major changes.

If I was in your shoes, I would return that kit and get something more appropriate for daily use (4000 or less).
My guy nobody's asking on why we shouldn't use these kinda sticks were asking how to use them....its not that hard nobody where I go there's always some shlong stick telling people we don't need the best stuff. Cool we have the money to spend on it all we want is to know how to use it

My guy nobody's asking on why we shouldn't use these kinda sticks were asking how to use them....its not that hard nobody where I go there's always some shlong stick telling people we don't need the best stuff. Cool we have the money to spend on it all we want is to know how to use it

It's not the best stuff - it's the highest-frequency stuff. Because of how memory controllers and motherboards act, you get almost no performance gains (or even worse results), as long as you are even able to run it at the a specified frequency. The compatibility list for those highest memory kits is very short. Jumping on the most expensive stuff usually asks for problems, and later, many people search for answers on the web (where most are as clueless as they are). The same was with DDR3, DDR4 and now DDR5. Right now you can get DDR5-8200/8400 kit, but the QVL includes 2-3 motherboards and a huge amount of luck to the CPU that will handle it. This is why those who are more advanced in this stuff will tell you don't buy it, unless you know what to do, and you need it for something like competitive benchmarking (which is pretty much dead nowadays).

So yes, if there is a less advanced user who expects good results in typical tasks and gaming, then usually get an answer that doesn't need the highest frequency RAM, so won't fight with the memory kit for longer, and save some money.

This is not about this particular thread, but in general. Topics about top frequency memory kits are quite common and most of them end in the same way.

There's also always 'some schlock stick' necroing threads for no reason, too. Weird... schlong sticks everywhere!

You must not have noticed that along with that spot-on advice, I also tried to help. If that's all you've come to say, stay at whatever website doesn't speak the truth and then help out. Don't let the logout button confuse you on the way out (I'll bet money says this was a post and run)

Back