• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with CPU+MBO (finishing build 200-250€)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kanalplus

Hello!

I'm trying to finish my future build so any help/suggestion about missing CPU+MBO (within my budget which is 200-250€ max) is more than welcome.
It will contain a mixture of old and new parts built in Fractal Design Define Mini case so mATX MB is must.

Parts i have:
GPU: MSI R6850 Cyclone 1GD5 PE/OC
HDD: Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS
HDD: WD WD500AAKX
PSU: XFX Core Edition P1-450S-X2B9 450w
Case:Fractal Design Define Mini
- Dell U2312HM 23"

Main purpose will be some light photo/video/audio editing, web design (nothing pro and too demanding) and will also serve as HTPC. I'm not a hc gamer but i'd like to run Guild Wars 2 on it.
Also i'd like to use this rig for next 3-5 years and eventually change cpu (if needed).

Since my budget is sadly limited (250€ max) i've been through few options;
1. Phenom II x4 960T+ <insert mATX mb> - trading in some parts which i hardly ever use + 25€ w/o cooler (will also save a lot of money), buying new AM3+ mbo since AMD stated that future upcoming CPUs will support this chipset and upgrade with something decent/better once they are out.

2. Eventho i prefer AMD rig my second option is I3-2100 + ASRock H61M/U3S3 and upgrading once IB lowers SB prices to perhaps i5 2500k

3. Any suggestion, different setup is more than welcome

Ta in advance

Last edited:
i'd stick with your origional idea of waiting for i5 to drop
but be warned....Intel won't drop the price much more than like $30 (and that's being optimistic)

the i5 is one of their best price to performance CPUs out there and people will continue to buy them

I don't know where you live, so that's french pricing.
The Asrock z77 Extreme4 Pro-M sells for €117. It's a m-ATX and has most of the goodies (2x PCIe 3.0, SLI/Crossfire...):
http://www.topachat.com/pages/detai...ue_est_w_cm_1155_puis_ref_est_in10059094.html
Grab a used 2500K for €150 (maybe less with the IB launch).
€20 out of budget, but really worth it.

Or, as you said, grab the i3 2125 (http://www.topachat.com/pages/produits_cat_est_micro_puis_rubrique_est_wpr_puis_mc_est_i3.html) and you're right in your bydget : €248

@Hazzeedayz
As u said prices prices won't drop much especially not 2500k and i've been told the same at least 50 times over the weekend.

@manu2b :salute:
Took me exactly 10 seconds after visiting suggested link to place my order
MB is eyecandy and got basicly everything i need and more also made me reconsider getting budget cpu, reached for another 50€ (guess i0ll smoke less for a while) and went for the right stuff.

took both as suggested for roughly 300€ with shipping
CPU
MBO

Got my old Hyper 212+ so i guess it will do the thing if i decide to do some light OCing?
Another thing, will my current PSU be enough for this rig?

Ta!!

The 212+ should allow 4.5GHz without issue.
Regarding your PSU (I believe it's a good unit), you'll be ok: +/-110W for a [email protected] and 170W for a 6850 with a 20%OC (130W@stock clocks). That's more than 150W remaining for MoBo, HDD's, fans...

Back