• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with fan locations and air cooling case.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

compaq_ML530

Registered
2 Questions for all you air cooling experts...
Case is a Inwin Q500N. I have 4 fans installed already: 80mm Panaflow in front (intake), 2 80mm Panaflows in the rear (exhaust, stock locations). I have a slot cooler below the video card (exhaust).
I placed a Panaflow 120*120*38mm fan into a cut hole in the side panel for intake. The hole is just below and to the right of the processor's HSF (60mm Delta 38CFM). All fans at 12V. The case fans are quieter than the Delta. Noise isn't an issue

My estimated intake CFM is ~140
My estimated exhaust CFM is ~80-90 (including Power Supply)

I've seem to have quite a bit of back pressure with the 120mm. (too much positive pressure?)
Case temp didn't drop more than 4 deg. celcius than before 120 was installed. Trying to achieve 3-5 deg above ambient room temps.

Question (1) What's the next step to reduce case temp? (Relocating the 120 is out of question)
Question (2) If were to install another 120mm fan for exhaust, where should it go? Top of case or back of case above power supply. (enlarging the stock 80mm fan location to fit a 120, thus loosing one 80mm fan, but gaining 80 CFM)

Thanks in advance, any help here would be appreciated.

What are you trying to get 3-5 above room temp?
The motherboard will almost always read room temp +10.
Try turning that 120mm fan around so it blows out.
If it dosent help any then turn it back in.

Placid (May 01, 2001 08:10 p.m.):
What are you trying to get 3-5 above room temp?
The motherboard will almost always read room temp +10.
Try turning that 120mm fan around so it blows out.
If it dosent help any then turn it back in.

Using compuNurse located above motherboard between PS and drive bays. Your right, the mobo does usually indicate 8-10 deg. above room temp. Higher than readings on compuNurse probe. Turning the 120 to exhaust dropped temp by 1 deg. The room temp dropped by a couple since my first post, so that didn't help.

i think you should have the back 80's go in front 80 go out and 120 go out becuase the 120 will just be fighting the cpu fan unless the cpu fan blows on the cpu

eradda02 (May 01, 2001 08:27 p.m.):
i think you should have the back 80's go in front 80 go out and 120 go out becuase the 120 will just be fighting the cpu fan unless the cpu fan blows on the cpu

The cpu fan does blow on the cpu.

Back