• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with finding the right heatsink/fan!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Necros

Fisrt off, hi everyone! I'm new to the boards.

Ok so I have a Intel Pentium 4 3.0E Prescott 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 478 CPU and it runs ridiculously hot. It's running 55 degrees Celcius right now and I only have a few basic programs running (Firefox, Xfire, etc..). With gaming load it reaches insane temps. I need to replace this stock heatsink before I burn out the cpu or something. Plus my room is a sauna because of it.

Normally I would just buy some behemoth heatsink and call it a day, but I have a Thermaltake SViking case which is pretty compact, so size matters.

Can you guys help me find a good heatsink for my setup?

Specs:
Case: Thermaltake SViking VA4000BWS (Demensions 17.4" x 7.9" x 19.9"(HxWxD))
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.0E Prescott 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 478 w/stock heatsink which I would say is a bit less than 9cm high x 9cm wide
Mobo: Intel D865PERL Socket 478 Motherboard, 800FSB, DDR400, AGP8X (12 inches x 9.6 inches)
Ram: 1 gig (2x512) Kingston ddr-sdram
Graphics: XFX nVidia 6800 128mb @ 8x AGP
Power Supply: ATRIX PSCI-500BLK ATX12V 500W (about 9.5 cm high and 16 cm wide/deep)

I think thats about all you need to know... I think the power supply would be the biggest size issue as its already like less than 2cm away from the current heatsink/fan. I'd say the biggest heatsink/fan I could fit in there would have to be 11cm high or less. Small is good but I need something that works really well since my CPU could melt a hole in a bank vault. ;) I'll take a pic tomorrow and add it to this post.

Any help is very much appreciated! :p

Thermalright's HR-01 is an excellent heatsink when used with a 120 mm fan placed directly on its fins. Users mounting this heatsink in a fanless mode will experience performance dependent upon airflow though the case and air temps at the heatsink. Frankly, considering its excellent performance with a fan, I would opt for a quiet 120 mm fan rather than fanless operation.

Source link http://www.overclockers.com/articles1277/

This HS should line up with your cases exhaust fan, if the pic i looked at was right..

*ThermalRight Socket 478 Adapter for HR-01

http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/shop/product.php?productid=16345&cat=0&page=1

*ThermalRight HR-01

http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/shop/product.php?productid=16342&cat=0&page=1

Last edited:
Thanks man, do you think I should grab a 120 mm fan for the heatsink as well like the article reccommends?

I'll upload a pic when I get home.

:welcome: to the FORUMS

This one will do nicely... ;)

Fan Specs:

Model: FBA12G12L1A
Air Flow: 68.9 CFM
Fan Speed: 1700 RPM
Noise Level: 30 dBA
Power: 4.08 watt
Bearing Type: Hydro Wave Bearing
Fan Size: 120x120x38 MM

Connector: Please choose a Panaflo 3pin or 4 pin Tail below.

You should prob. get the 4 pin tail(wires to 4 pin molex) if your mobo CPU fan header doesn't support the wattage of the fan..

http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/shop/product.php?productid=16302&cat=266&page=1

Last edited:
Ok I have a few more questions:

How do I find out if my CPU fan header supports the wattage of the fan? I've looked everywhere but couldn't find anything...

Also I noticed that the heatsink was 160mm(16cm) high, and my case is only about 20cm wide... I hope it will fit?

Also, according to this image, the fan would be mounted pointing upwards or downwards in my case when installed, and not towards the rear case fan. 10.jpg (credit to www.hartware.de)

Here is a picture of my current setup, which is already quite crammed.
CIMG0282.JPG

I take it if I installed this Thermalright heatsink, in respect to the above image it would be 60mm up and down and 110mm left to right? And the fan would have to be mounted on the bottom side of the heatsink I would assume?

Sorry about so many questions I just don't want to buy something that wont work! :p

Last edited:
Your motherboard manual should say how many amps and watts the fan headers support.
Im confused because my has 2 diffrent numbers for amps and watts

Yeah I've looked everywhere, in every pdf manual I could find on my motherboard and havent found a thing about amps OR watts, let alone the amount supported by the fan headers. If anyone could locate this information please help! My mobo is an Intel D865PERL Socket 478 Motherboard, 800FSB, DDR400, AGP8X.

I did see an article on OverClockers that said most mobos support 5 watts for the fans... but I want to be sure. Thanks!

dont think that hr will fit in your case if the 120mm side faces the rear. It would be too wide.

So do you guys still think the Termalright HR-01 plus the Panaflo 120mm fan is the way to go, or now that you see my setup, anyone got any better reccommendations?

And Airpizza I would definitely have to put it in with the 60mm side facing the rear, hence why the fan would have to be on the top or bottom, which kinda sucks =/.

Just out of curiousity what is your system temp? and ambient room temp?

Does the CPU run cooler at load with the side panel off and a desk fan or simular device blowing fresh air into the case.

As far as i can tell this HR-01 is the best i can come up with.. The PSU will be exhausting the CPU HSs' air.. A intake hole on the side panel may be in order here too!

Prescotts are suppossed to have a thermally advantaged case, meaning a hole on the side panel to let air in for CPU/HS..(passive or active)

side_panel_0001.gif

Well, if space is an issue, I wouldn't recommend that you have a tower style heatsink like that. Grab an XP-90C with a big fan...try Delta TFB0912UHE. You won't want to run it or any other powerful fan off a motherboard header, but you can buy the fan with a splitter to monitor the angular velocity through the motherboard while you power the fan with a spare molex. Also, try swapping out your case fans with higher RPM ones. I just switched mine with Thermaltake smart fans, they look nice with the blue LEDs and move quite a bit of air for their size (75 cfm for 80mm x 25mm, the 92 x 25 moves 79 cfm and the 120 x 25 moves 94 cfm.) Also, you mentioned that you have a problem with the computer heating your room. Better cooling won't help that, since all cooling systems use air as their final cooling medium (barring something exotic such as water cooling with a radiator buried underground) and the heat your computer creates will end up in the air no matter what, it's just a question of how cool your CPU and such will run while doing it. I have the same problem where the ambient temperature of my bedroom in the summer often exceeds 100°F, and has hit 110°F on occasion. The only thing you can do there is run an air conditioner, if that's practical for you.

Right now my CPU is 54 degrees Celcius adn case temp is 37 Celcius.

Room temp... well I live in San Diego, so it's in the 70's I guess prolly 80's when my computer is under long stress periods, not hot but not cold... warm.

I've been running with the side panel off for ages now, makes for easier access and keeps things a bit cooler. My case is kind of in a cubby so it doesnt get the best ventilation so I just leave the side panel off (and I can't move the comp anywhere else so thats no option).

Ok, here's what I think I'm gonna go with:

Thermalright XP-90C with 92mm Panaflo High output fan @ 2.57watts (this fan is cheap and I'm guessing my mobo header should be able to take the load - I dont really want to buy a separate controller cuz I'm cheap;))

Also do I need to buy some thermal paste? I've never swapped a heatsink before so will the current stuff thats on there be good still or do I need to re-paste it? Thanks for any help!

well, i think for size constraints the xp-90 or xp-90C as they are compatible with any motherboard. but i dunno what the situation is with your case so...

reguardless, if you can get a 120mm heatsink it will save your ears. so i would definately work toward going that route.

Ok, I'll grab some Artic Cooling paste.

And I would very much enjoy a 120mm heatsink but I only have about 11 cm space max so no go.

I'm running a Prescott 3.0(E)GHz CPU as well at 3.45GHz. I've replaced the stock HSF with what I thought was a pretty crap Titan HSF combo. I subsequently replaced the Titan fan with a Zalman case fan and to my surprise my idle temp hovers around 40 degrees and at load doesn't go over 55 degrees. My mobo temp usually hover around 28 to 30 degrees. Ambient temp here in Auckland is about 25 degree (a rough guesstimate)

I have a 120mm Vantec Stealth intake fan in the front and a 80mm Thermaltake Smart Case Fan II as an intake on the side. My only exhaust fans are on my PSU which are 2 80mm fans.

You're on the right track by replacing the stock HSF but you may also want to look at adding some fans to provide better circulation within the case as well. Hope that helps.

Cheers

chiefnz

Check the rig in my sig... similar mobo (in terms of layout/config I believe) and the XP-90 fits very nicely... I have it overhanging the capacitors beside the processor, and the fan blowing down, cooling the caps and the temp sensor located there as well. Yea, idle ~39C, full load (video encoding from avi to mpeg2... this works my rig harder than gaming) ~55C and I only have a 80mm fan on it right now. 92mm panaflo medium on the way...

Cheers.

Ok I ordered the XP-90C with a 92mm Panaflo High Output fan...

I'll probably upgrade my case fan later on; I can only spend so much at a time ;)

Thanks for all your help everyone!

Back