• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with flash drive.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

infam0ussteven

Hey, I just received my new 16GB flash drive in the mail and when I tried to save a movie onto it (4.7gb) it told me there wasn't enough room in the device to save the file, but when I saved a file that was 1GB, it worked without a problem. Can anyone help me with this, thanks.

ciku

I believe fat file system can only handle smaller files, try to format the drive as ntfs :)

bchur83

FAT32 is limited to files less than 2GB or 4GB in size (Most places state 2GB limit, but some say 4GB will work). I am assuming you were copying an Iso or other image and since the total file size was over 2GB it doesnt know what to do. The only way around is to format it NTFS or break the file into less than 2GB pieces.

OP
infam0ussteven

infam0ussteven

I suspected that was the problem so I've been trying to format it to NTFS but windows keep telling me it failed to format the drive..

Mr Alpha

Could be that it is one of those fake 16GB drives floating around. That it in reality is only 2GB or some such. This has been a problem with drives on eBay.

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
In order to be able to format the drive as NTFS, you'll first need to select the 'Optimize for performance' option ('Optimize for quick removal' is the default) under the 'Policies' tab of the device's properties. Then you can select NTFS as the file system choice, under the 'Format' drop down for the flash drive...

How to format USB drive and memory stick with NTFS
http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/format-usb-ntfs/

OP
infam0ussteven

infam0ussteven

In order to be able to format the drive as NTFS, you'll first need to select the 'Optimize for performance' option ('Optimize for quick removal' is the default) under the 'Policies' tab of the device's properties. Then you can select NTFS as the file system choice, under the 'Format' drop down for the flash drive...

How to format USB drive and memory stick with NTFS
http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/format-usb-ntfs/
I've already tried that prior to making this thread, thanks for the reply though!

jmdixon85

Can you not try converting the drive to NTFS? e.g: open a prompt (cmd): type

"CONVERT X: my_volume /FS:NTFS"

X= being the flashdrives drive letter and my_volume being the drives label