• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP with GeForce 3 and TI 4400!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eeglot

I just purchased a TI 4400 for my 1 ghz T-bird system. I put my old Geforce 3 (original DDR 64 MB), into a newer system for my brother, it an XP 1700+ DDR Abit KR7A DDR 512 ram

My 1 GHZ T-bird system has an Asus A7V 512 SDR ram

The Geforce 3 outperforms the TI 4400 with the Geforce 3 in the XP machine.
pcpitstop reports 107 MP/s in my 1 GHz machine with TI 4400. It reports 123 MP/s with the Geforce 3 in the XP 1700 machine.

Is this a classic example of my 1 GHz processor not pushing the new TI 4400 to optimum level, so that it is slower than a Geforce 3 card in a faster system?
Both cards are overclocked, GF 3 is at 215/500. TI 4400 is at 295/600

Thanks for the help

Cisco Kid

yep, you need more horsepower to push yout Ti4400.

Also make sure you have most recent board bios, most optimized Ti driver, people here can tell you which one seems to work best for them.

BTW what is your Ti4400 a 128 DDR card or 64 DDR cause if I am correct the 128 card have slower mem but not by much and it all equals out once you overclock them.

If you swapped the cards in the systems you would see a difference. Juts tell your bro you are borrowing his system for a while.

cisco kid

OP
E

eeglot

lol, I dont have tell him anything, I built it for him :) I just have not delivered it yet :)

Thats what I thought, yes my TI 4400 has 128 MB DDR.

I was hoping and assuming that this was the issue. I was afraid I got a bum TI 4400. Did you mean the graphics card BIOS, or MB BIOS? I know my A7V BIOS is old 1004D and I think they are up to 1008 now at least.

I would imagine the TI 4400 would scream in the XP machine. I dont recall numbers when the GF3 was in my 1 ghz machine.

Anyways I am planning on going with the same setup and retire my 1 Ghz

Jeff Bolton

yes the slower processor is what we refer to as a bottleneck.

here is an example:

a friend of mine had an old p2 400mhz computer, with 256mb sdram and a 20gig hard drive, and a geforce2 32mb card. this computer could not handle anything in terms of games, wolfenstein would not run with everything on the lowest settings, i'm guessing probably sub 1fps, it was really really bad. well recently they just upgraded the WHOLE computer to a p4 2.0a, 256mb rdram, same hdd and same 32mb video card. now he can run jedi knight, wolfenstein, and MOHAA with everything maxed out at 800x600 on a geforce2 because of the better processor.

i guess what i'm trying to say is that while the video card has a lot to do with 3d performance, as cisco kid said, it needs cpu horsepower to really get things done. you'd probably be just as well to keep the geforce 3, but if you are planning on upgrading your system, keep the 4400 because it will be more beneficial to you in the long run.

jeff

OP
E

eeglot

right on guys, thanks a lot for the explanations and help!!

going to order another Abit KR7A, XP 1900, 512 DDR ram

:), that should bring the TI to life!!

BTW Jeff, My TI 4400 is a Visiontek Xtasy, handles 295/600 great!
Good luck with that new system!

Jeff Bolton

eeglot said:
right on guys, thanks a lot for the explanations and help!!

going to order another Abit KR7A, XP 1900, 512 DDR ram

:), that should bring the TI to life!!

BTW Jeff, My TI 4400 is a Visiontek Xtasy, handles 295/600 great!
Good luck with that new system!

yes, that new system should help your ti4400 acheive mad framerates and you'll be happy you kept the ti4400 ;)

thanks for the tip, even though i'm considering getting an xtasy 4600 now since i'm getting a $1.35 raise starting tonight :D

jeff