• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with i7-12700k temps/undervolting (for gaming) and maybe RAM/MOBO issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

haunter90

Hi everyone, as most people with such posts, I'm relatively new to such things. Been building PC's YEARS ago (think Sandy bridge and before) and briefly undervolted some cpu's through time but that stopped 5+ years ago. As such, most knowledge is now lost.

Before I proceed, here are my full specs

1660306387710.png

The case came with 3 140mm fans to which I've added 3 Silent wings 4 fans. The configuration is
1x 140mm fan in the back (exhaust)
2x 140mm fans above (exhaust)
3x 120mm fans in front (intake)

CPU Thermal paste is Kryonaut (Thermal Grizzly)

To compensate a bit in the different size I am skewing the RPM settings so they're slightly favoring intake flow.

ANYWAY moving on:

My issue with the CPU is that it easily reaches 80+ degrees and if I do something like a cinebench or XTU benchmark it goes towards 95-100. I'm struggling finding the optimal settings for undervolting the CPU before I lose performance or it crashes. Could someone please help?

Also... I'm lost entirely because the RAM I bought is up to 5200MHz frequency but if I try to set anything more than 4000MHz, I don't get POST and must forcefully turn off the PC a few times until BIOS resets the setting. Any ideas? Memtest came out fine and everything should be compatible with each other.

Thank you for taking the time to read and help!

Those temperatures are normal for your cooling and the chip. These can't even run a stress test on most boards without thermally throttling. As far as finding the optimal setting for undervolting, every chip is different. So what may work on one may not work on another. You just need to play the game of lowering the voltage until it crashes, then raise it up a notch and confirm stability. It's just trial and error. But I'd use a negative offset, yep.

RE: RAM......have you updated the BIOS on that motherboard to the latest version? If so/after, did you try setting XMP? That speed should simply just work when you enable XMP... no manual settings should be required.

Those temperatures are normal for your cooling and the chip. These can't even run a stress test on most boards without thermally throttling. As far as finding the optimal setting for undervolting, every chip is different. So what may work on one may not work on another. You just need to play the game of lowering the voltage until it crashes, then raise it up a notch and confirm stability. It's just trial and error. But I'd use a negative offset, yep.

RE: RAM......have you updated the BIOS on that motherboard to the latest version? If so/after, did you try setting XMP? That speed should simply just work when you enable XMP... no manual settings should be required.
Thanks for the super prompt reply! When you say lowering the voltage you mean the offset correct? Think I was able to do it until -0.04 or -0.045

For the RAM, yes, the MOBO initially came with an incredibly outdated version and I updated it to the latest (1601) but the result is the same. I tried XMP1 and XMP2, these being 5200 and 4800 respectively. I tried manually as well just adjusting the frequency itself, it booted once at around 4500 and then gave repeated BSOD increasingly rapidly (first time I was able to open chrome, then i barely logged in windows, then whilst windows was loading, etc.) and anything between 4001-4500 remained unstable

That's weird the RAM doesn't work. The platform 'max' (where everything SHOULD work) is 4800 and you're below that... post screenshots of CPU. The memory tab and SPD tab, please.

Are they in the right slots (confirm in your manual)?
Have you tried reseating them?
Is that RAM on the memory QVL list (confirm at the mobo's website)?

Last edited:
That's weird the RAM doesn't work. The platform 'max' (where everything SHOULD work) is 4800 and you're below that... post screenshots of CPU. The memory tab and SPD tab, please.

Are they in the right slots (confirm in your manual)?
Have you tried reseating them?
Is that RAM on the memory QVL list (confirm at the mobo's website)?
Hey, I haven't tried reseating but will do.... If they work reseated, I probably have some kind of fault with the MOBO, correct? I'm asking because I'm still within the return period and could technically get something "better", this would also apply if you think I should change something, please don't hesitate to let me know.

The occupied slots are A1 B1 (1st and 3rd slot) at the moment but like I said, I'll try A2 B2 (2nd and 4th) and return

Can you please tell me what you mean by "post screenshots of CPU. The memory tab and SPD tab"? You mean during initial boot or in bios?

Edit: Memory and CPU are both on QVL list for MOBO

Last edited:
1. Reseating means to take out and put back in. It's just to make sure you put them in correct. They should 'click' when in place. If you didn't put the memory in properly, that isn't a fault of the motherboard, lol.
2. A1/B1 are not the right slots for two sticks!!! That's probably the issue..............
3. There's a program called CPUz. Download it. Open it. Take screenshots of the tabs I'm asking for (if #2 doesn't work).

Most (not all) current motherboards use A2/B2 for two sticks of RAM. You might find that solves your problem.

1. Reseating means to take out and put back in. It's just to make sure you put them in correct. They should 'click' when in place. If you didn't put the memory in properly, that isn't a fault of the motherboard, lol.
2. A1/B1 are not the right slots for two sticks!!! That's probably the issue..............
3. There's a program called CPUz. Download it. Open it. Take screenshots of the tabs I'm asking for (if #2 doesn't work).
you've misread my post, RAM's aren't next to each other, they're on the standard yes-no-yes-no. I've swapped them to no-yes-no-yes now.

As it turns out, the issue was in BIOS with auto/Ai/crappy "optimizer" setting being enabled. I've disabled that in advanced power tab and now it works at 5200MHz :) Thanks everyone

I didn't misread your post and am well aware your sticks were not next to each other :). As I described, they were in the wrong slots (A1/B1). The standard is N/Y/N/Y or A1/A2/B1/B2. They belong in the grey slots (A2/B2) as it sounds like you now have them. :thup:

Here's a picture from your manual:

mems.jpg

Glad you got it to work!

Back