• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with mem oc tWRRD_dg

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Newbiew

Registered
I am running g skill Trident with 12900k and until tightening secondaries everything went good.

tWRRD_dg sg. Set to 16 4 tcwl =tcl no boot. Wtf..

It should be save values plus coming used. Anyone knows what's up with these and how to fix?

On some motherboards I just gave up setting sub-timings. It barely helps in anything and causes weird issues like random problems with booting. On MSI Z790I Edge, tWRRD and some other tertiary timings didn't work at tighter values at all. It was like auto or no boot. I could set it on ASUS, but not MSI or Gigabyte. I just don't have enough free time anymore to spend a couple of days to test every timing on the list.
I'm not sure if it's safe as it highly depends on used RAM and frequency. I was recently playing at 7600-8000 and it's more like 48-64 area than 16/4 for DG/SG. DR/DD usually go much lower, to 1-20.
On last motherboards I set CL manually but wCL at auto. Then it runs the same as CL or 2-4 lower.

...or we are talking about DDR4 as there is no detailed specs or anything

Asus z690 p
Post magically merged:

Values are as to guide on github

No set guide of values will work the same on every system. Your options are to spend days incrementally adjusting every timing and testing, or set it to auto and forget about it because the difference in performance is <1%. It's worth trying a guide like that to see if it works, but if it doesn't work then those are the options remaining.

There are no good guides. Most people just repeat other users' settings and also mistakes around the web. Whatever is repeated many times on the web, automatically becomes a rule. It's like with Wikipedia, where are many mistakes, but hey, it's Wikipedia so has to be true.
I'm not writing memory OC guides because on every motherboard series are slightly different values, every RAM batch can have slightly different settings, and there are always more questions than answers. One example, I recently made a set of profiles on G.Skill 6800/Hynix A, not a single profile boots on Kingston 7200/Hynix A.
Another thing is that guides like that are a lot of work, and most people just don't care to read and use them right. The last time I wrote a RAM OC guide, the competitive OC team used it against us on hwbot. They literally used my settings.

ASUS Z690-P is a budget series (no matter how it sounds) looking at the ASUS product list, and they don't care to improve BIOS or optimize it for overclocking. For that are higher ROG series and ASUS BIOS team, and in-house overclockers focus only on top mobos. Look that ASUS dropped BIOS improvements for Z690 motherboards a month after the premiere. The same for all non-Maximus series mobos.
The next thing is what was already said, the performance gain from tweaking sub-timings on Z690/Z790 is below 1%. Usually, it's a flat 0%. You can see the difference in synthetic tests but not in daily usage or games. It's still like 1-2% in synthetic tests other than the AIDA64 bandwidth benchmark where you can see something like 5GB/s more.

Z790 Apex I guess as Z690 was a fail, I returned 2 of them as were faulty and many users were complaining because of problems with one of the memory slots. ASUS fixed the issue 4 months later.

You'll see plenty of Apex in stock soon...It was a limited time and due to popularity (and maybe this fix, lol), they'll have more coming in the next couple of months.

Z z690 formula or maximus are my top choices but they all went to ****

Newer bios do help?
Post magically merged:

There is lots of positive feedback
Post magically merged:

Z690 maximus vs p.
Showdown

If I disable unused dimm slots will it improve oc?
Post magically merged:

Nvm

Because the images from 3rd party sites tend to disappear when not in use for a while... which borks the content of the thread.;)

Was stable in cinabench
Well, that's 30 seconds... a start. If you're happy with where you're at (no idea where you're at), run that looping for hours or another stress test (AIDA64 has a memory stress test, for example).

What's your goal here? What, exactly, are you trying to accomplish? From what I can gather, you're already playing deep in the minutia (as was said previously, where you're tweaking yields you 1% performance gain).

Will you post a screenshot, hosted here, that shows CPUz... the SPD tab and the Memory tab, please? Not a screencap either. Hit the print screen button, open paint, paste, save image... attach to the forums.

Back