• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with Memory Timing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vasudan

I've had no problems overclocking my CPU and Video card over the years but memory is one area I've never payed much attention to, I've read whatever I can but I'm very confused, I need to clarify some things.

What is better, high or Low?

From my understanding, as my computer is purely a gaming machine lower is better. My current memory is 3.3.3.8, that is it's default, I've not played with it at all. It's DDR400 can only get it to 360-370 stable, 400Mhz just seems out of reach.The other thing I notice from the guides is that as people raise memory speed, they also raise the timings.

Next thing is voltage, I understand that raising the voltage allows better overclocking. I have no idea what my current voltage is, or where to look to find out, all I know is that I can raise it .1 or .2 in the bios. My thoughts were by raising this I might be able to achieve 400 or close.

Lastly, I'm planning an upgrade at Xmas and it seems memory is on the cards, I want to buy memory that I don't have to play with much and can achieve it's rated speed without problems.

Cheers.

Vas.

Seriously, I must have read that entire thread 5 times already over the last few days, I'm still having trouble getting my head around many of my above points, I think it made things worse, now I have something of an information overload and an overclocking addiction.

If you could tell me the following I might be able to experiment and understand all this.

Where can I find my current memory voltage, I can find where to raise it in my Bios but not what it's current is.

Put it this way, if I can get my DDR400 running at 400 I'll be happy. When I have that problem solved, I'll start experimenting with the timings.

Vas.

first off, welcome to the forums!

and then to answer your question, an application such as Everest Home Edition will tell you everything you need to know about your computer, including your vdimm voltage. A quick and easy download from here: http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

Just look under Computer > Sensor and it will be listed in there. I imagine that it is defaulted to 2.6 or somewhere abouts there.

Back