• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with monitor stand/mount

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rainwater

So I have the Acer Predator 27in display and it sits so far into my desk it's actually kind of ridiculous. It's literally about a foot in from the wall. I know I can use a wall mount but I don't think it's the best fit for my current situation. Does anyone know of a slim stand that will have my display much closer to the wall? I like to sit pretty close to my desk. I will attach a photo to show what I'm dealing with.
acer stand.JPG

I would love it to be about 8 inches closer to the wall.

Last edited:
I'd get a wall mount in that case, honestly. I have the same issue. In my situation I have a 3-4" thick huge Salvador Dali book it sits on and hangs over the back of my desk giving me some clearance. I need to order a wall mount pronto.

Ya you're right. I guess I haven't really looked much into one. I'm sure I can find one that moves a couple inches up and down. Main thing is tho I'm not entirely sure where I want my desk full time yet. I still need to grab a couple things I've had put away and get a final arrangement figured out on what I have going on here.

Attach piece of 8" wide shelving board to back of the desk and pull the desk out by that amount.

I guess this means I sit too close to my monitor.

As for adding a shelving board to back of his desk, looks like the desk would then block the door. Not a bad idea if space isn’t a concern.

Yeah, I saw that door too and wondered about that. What we don't know is how close the end of the desk is to the wall that has the door. Hard to tell with the camera angles.

Wall mounts are nice - if you never ever need to move your desk. Also, unless you get a fancy one that has lots of adjustments, you better make sure you mount it in the correct position.

You didn't state the specific model of your monitor. I note there are at least two 27" Acer Predator models that I found. But both support VESA mounts so that's good. Unless you really want to drill holes in your wall, I recommend checking out VESA desk mounts, like this one. Or this.

Never ever? :p

You just move the wall mount... it's that simple. Sure, a bit of putty and some paint (assuming non white walls) after that is needed which is extra work, but, it can certainly be done. I've done it. And will do it again tonight. The nice part is, my office has white walls so throwing a bit of putty in the hole whenever I change up the room (I haven't changed mine in 3 years being in this house) is nothing. Just saying it can easily be done even if you move your desk... just a bit more effort is needed when moving it to patch a couple of small holes. :)

I have a desk mount and regret it with my setup. Desk mounts can be great, but you really need a pretty solid desk to do it and have the thing stable. I've got a simple "L" shaped desk from IKEA and I think it weighs like 30 lbs total, LOL. So the desk mount I have, while it works, irks me a bit due to the instability of the whole platform and it incessant shaking. A wall mount solves that problem for me. But if you have a heavy stable desk which can handle those things, by all means it is a good option. :)

Last edited:
:-/ Well of course a wall mount can be moved, the holes filled with putty and painted over with a little touch-up paint. But to me, it seems like a lot of work if you just want to move the monitor a couple inches one way or the other.

Plus I note Rainwater specifically expressed in his opening post misgivings about using a wall mount. In any case, pretty sure Rainwater understood the point. But just to clarify, wall mounting is a very viable option but it is, more or less, a semi-permanent option. But yes, a wall mount can be moved with relative ease. Sorry if me saying "never ever" caused confusion.

Unless the desk is extremely flimsy with a paper thin top (and please understand I don't really mean as thin as a piece of paper :rolleyes: :-/ ;)), stability is hardly a problem. But if concerned, or if you have one of those nice glass top desks, it really is simple to reinforce the mount with metal plates or pieces of wood. There are even nice looking factory made reinforcement bracket mount plates designed just for that very purpose.

If still worried about crushing a flimsy desktop, there are freestanding VESA stands that sit on top of the desk like this one. There are dozens to choose from though I linked to that one because it "appears" the upright bar can be oriented vertically - perpendicular to the desktop - instead of leaning forward pushing the monitor even further from the wall. However, because it still sits "on" the desk and in from the back edge of the desk a little, I am not sure it would position the monitor significantly closer to the wall than your current stand. Sadly, that dimension is not stated.

Should you decide on a desktop stand, note that many only support up to 24" monitors and that one only up to 27". If you plan on moving up to a 32" inch monitor in the future, you may need one like this. Of course, the biggest disadvantage (IMO) of a freestanding stand that sits on the desk is it takes up a lot of valuable desktop real estate compared to a rear edge mount or wall bracket type.

A couple of inches of movement can come from the wall mount unit as you expressed earlier. If you would like that ability, get one that articulates as needed. ;)

All I am saying with desk mounted units they need a stable base/desk or it can shake around...that's all. I currently own an arm and when I switched desks I had issues due to the stability of the desk as a whole. Often, small desks are not heavy and can shake a bit. When you add an arm to it, those little shakes and movements are amplified through the arm and monitor.

I'm really not looking to get into a debate or discussion here, but just expressing there is flexibility with one way (yes, saying never ever was the concern) and troubles I ran into on the other. The OP can take that info and do as he pleases. No response needed to this... just clarifying where I am coming from. :clap:

Last edited:
Wow, ok cool. Haven't checked this in a couple days. I get paid tomorrow and will get something figured out, I have to order a 2tb Intel 660 m.2 for games. And I might order my case as well, I've made my mind up and it will be the Fractal Design Define s2. I have a pretty solid desk but it does need to be tightened up a bit. It has been moved three times. Like move moved. I got it from Ikea as well.
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/hemnes-desk-black-brown-60245721/
There might be an inch of overlay at the rear of my desk to mount an arm back there. It's not that I'm afraid of work I just there are a lot of factors playing in right now. Not sure how long I will be in this particular room, haven't entirely made my mind up on where the desk will stay although where it's at is probably the best option And it's something I'd probably have to run by the house manager before I drill into the wall. . I really like that second link Mr. Bright, I think I have a good inch of overlay though no more. Guess if it doesn't work I can take it back, Amazon has been good so far with returns. In downtown Portland we have hubs we can drop returns off at and never have to worry about shipping anything back. Anyway thank you all for chiming in I will for sure let you know what option I choose along with of course picture of the finished product.

Also the model number is XB271HU-bmiprz.

something I'd probably have to run by the house manager before I drill into the wall.
No doubt. I'm a homeowner so, it's my walls to do as I please and putty and paint them if needed.

If I was in your shoes, I would try out an arm of some sort and see if that works for you and your desk. If not, then I would look into something that mounts on the wall after your ask for permission. :)

something I'd probably have to run by the house manager before I drill into the wall.
No doubt. I'm a homeowner so, it's my walls to do as I please and putty and paint them if needed.

If I was in your shoes, I would try out an arm of some sort and see if that works for you and your desk. If not, then I would look into something that mounts on the wall after your ask for permission. :)

Back